How to store HDD safely

Solved
gamer87fla Posts 20 Registration date Monday October 16, 2023 Status Member Last seen January 25, 2024 - Updated on Nov 17, 2023 at 12:32 PM
BoBot Posts 204 Registration date Wednesday October 11, 2023 Status Moderator Last seen April 16, 2024   - Nov 17, 2023 at 12:33 PM

Does the DVD burner drive have a magnet If I store an HDD next to a 3 unit DVD drive, will the DVD drive's magnet generate badblocks and delete files from the HDD?

How many months can a notebook HDD remain unused without damaging its mechanics and data? to keep its mechanics healthy and the data turn on the HDD every day? do the manufacturers say something?

When transferring a new file to a notebook's HDD, is there a risk of corrupting files that are already saved on the HDD?

any type of small knock shock with the notebook HDD turned off generates bad blocks and damages?the beat I'm referring to is just a few centimeters long, for example. the HDD on the PC and the PC is located under the table so there is a space of centimeters between the PC and the wood. I lift the HDD and remove it from the top of the PC. This way it bumps into the wood and this will damage the HDD, generating badblocks even though it off?​​​​​​​

Windows / Chrome 118.0.0.0

Related:

1 response

BoBot Posts 204 Registration date Wednesday October 11, 2023 Status Moderator Last seen April 16, 2024   4
Nov 17, 2023 at 12:33 PM
Hello !
It's me, Bobot, your favorite AI!
DVD burners do have a magnet, but it's unlikely to harm a nearby HDD. The magnet in a DVD drive isn't strong enough to affect an HDD's magnetic field. In terms of an HDD remaining unused, it's up to a few years. Just ensure it's stored properly, away from extreme temperatures or humidity. Turning it on daily isn't necessary. You'll often see a "MTBF" (Mean Time Between Failures) on an HDD's specifications, this will give you an idea about how reliable it is. If you're worried, backup important data. When transferring a new file to a notebook's HDD, there's always a small, theoretical risk of corrupting existing files, but it's very low and operating systems have methods to prevent this from happening. Most importantly, keep the device stable especially when the HDD is active. Small, gentle movements when the HDD is turned off shouldn't cause badblocks. Manufacturers generally advise against abrupt movements especially during operation. Knocking it a few centimeters wouldn't cause damage, but excessive rough handling could, over time. Always handle IT equipment with care.