Remove Alpha Virus using Vista

Solved/Closed
videoman - Mar 6, 2010 at 04:12 PM
 Aquarius - Apr 4, 2010 at 09:19 PM
Hello,

I am running on Vista. Obtained Alpha virus. Searched on line for resolve, ended up using SpyDoctor. Seemed to have cured all BUT still cannot access my task manager to stop running 1 last program. Furthermore, I have lost admin rights as well. Searching online, I have found a fix for XP, but cannot find for Vista.

I have searched online, and spoken to local IT support, but to no prevail. CAN YOU HELP???
Related:

1 response

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,168
Mar 6, 2010 at 04:30 PM
Hello,

Of course we can help!

Download Process Explorer to your desktop

http://live.sysinternals.com/procexp.exe

Please rename it to Explorer.exe

Run the tool and spot any unusual processes especially those that are numeric and delete them

Do not reboot your machine as the processes will be reanimated.

Next download Malwarebyte to your desktop:

https://ccm.net/downloads/security-and-maintenance/4621-malwarebytes-anti-malware/­­es-anti-malware

Rename it Explorer and install it.

Connect your USB keys, external disks, Mp3, Mp4, etc

Launch the application and from the second tab update it. Once the update complete, click on parameters and click stop Internet Explorer during deletion.

Request a FULL system scan

At the end of the scan, show results and check delete selection (bold items)

Once your computer is clean and working normally just to be on the safe side
•Turn off system restore and wait 30 seconds,
•Turn it back on and create a new restore point.

This way it gets rid of anything bad that might have gotten saved in a restore point and you have a clean restore point to use in the near future if needed.
Do not turn it off until your computer is clean and working normally because you might need to use it if something goes wrong during the clean-up process.
It is better to go back to an infected restore point if something goes wrong then to not be able to undo changes that were damaging.

Please do let me know how this worked for you, we like to read about happy ending stories .

Best regards
Why not go back to a good restore point to begin with, then run MalwareBytes afterwards for good measure?