HP DV2988SE (DV2700 series) Screen problems

Closed
QQCCA Posts 1 Registration date Sunday December 5, 2010 Status Member Last seen December 5, 2010 - Dec 5, 2010 at 12:00 AM
imateski Posts 9 Registration date Sunday December 5, 2010 Status Member Last seen December 6, 2010 - Dec 6, 2010 at 12:36 PM
Hello, I recently just placed my laptop in my backpack and i accidentally sat on it..(200lbs) WHen i turn on the laptop, the screen turns on but it is all white, has lines all over the place, sometimes pitched black, and the screen is misalligned. (one of those problems). But when i push the lid if my screen down (when the laptop screen is open) like applying pressure to the display inverter, the picture(screen) comes back to normal... There is no dead pixels on the screen, it is like in perfect conditon. But when i let go of it, (release pressure on the display inverter), the problems come back. So what is wrong with my laptop? The screen inverter or the laptop screen itself. I also dont want to bring this to a computer repair shop because i will be doing the repair myself. Just as of yesterday, i disassembled part of my laptop to remove the screen becase i think that my screen is broken because i sat on it...but as i was googleing today, i found some results saying that it might be the screen inverter....
To make everything short, what is wrong with my laptop? The screen inverter or the laptop screen itself?
Also it is not under warrenty anymore.
Thank You and please help, i am using a friends computer right now.
Also for the pressure part, i dont think i was giving pressure to the display inverter but i was kind of squeezing the screen.. Sometimes when i push the screen, it comes back to normal..... It only happens if i am holding it down, once i let go, the screen problems occur again
Related:

1 response

imateski Posts 9 Registration date Sunday December 5, 2010 Status Member Last seen December 6, 2010 1
Dec 6, 2010 at 12:36 PM
If your laptop's LCD is illuminated properly then it's not the inverter. If it was, then the image would be all OK but dimm. As you're explaining the problem, the image is distorted/white/with stripes, but the illumination is perfect.
So, if applying pressure to the LCD assembly makes the image look just nice, i.e the pressure gets rid of all image distortion, then my guess is you're looking at two potential problems:
1. Some contacts are torn off/unsoldered from the LCD
2. Some wires are broken
To fix this you'll need to open the LCD assembly totally, and check the wiring and solder joints. Usually the joints are covered with plastic so you'll need to do some more dissasembly of the LCD screen itself.
Hope this helps

Igor Mateski