Multiple processors for Excel

Closed
greepaul Posts 2 Registration date Saturday July 5, 2014 Status Member Last seen July 6, 2014 - Jul 5, 2014 at 05:30 PM
greepaul Posts 2 Registration date Saturday July 5, 2014 Status Member Last seen July 6, 2014 - Jul 6, 2014 at 07:24 AM
I work with very large spreadsheets in Excel on a Mac and I often have to wait for Excel to execute things like sort and fill.

I'm hoping too solve the problem with a Mac Pro with multiple processors.

Is there any limit to the number of processors Excel can use simultaneously?
Related:

2 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Jul 5, 2014 at 07:41 PM
Here is what Microsoft says about Excel 2010:

Multi-Core Processing

Additional investments were made to take advantage of multi-core processors and increase performance for routine tasks. Starting in Excel 2010, the following features use multi-core processors: saving a file, opening a file, refreshing a PivotTable (for external data sources, except OLAP and SharePoint), sorting a cell table, sorting a PivotTable, and auto-sizing a column.

For operations that involve reading and loading or writing data, such as opening a file, saving a file or refreshing data, splitting the operation into two processes increases performance speed. The first process gets the data, and the second process loads the data into the appropriate structure in memory or writes the data to a file. In this way, as soon as the first process beings reading a portion of data, the second process can immediately start loading or writing that data, while the first process continues to read the next portion of data. Previously, the first process had to finish reading all the data in a certain section before the second process could load that section of the data into memory or write the data to a file.
greepaul Posts 2 Registration date Saturday July 5, 2014 Status Member Last seen July 6, 2014
Jul 6, 2014 at 07:24 AM
Thank you: that hints at an answer, but I'm really hoping to find out how many processors Excel can use at the same time. There's little point in paying for six or eight processors if Excel can only use two at once.