Conditional formating is applied based on date in two cells

Solved/Closed
Capricorn56 Posts 1 Registration date Wednesday July 23, 2014 Status Member Last seen July 23, 2014 - Jul 23, 2014 at 03:54 AM
TrowaD Posts 2921 Registration date Sunday September 12, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen December 27, 2022 - Mar 16, 2015 at 01:04 PM
Hi everyone
I'm using Excel 2010 and applying conditional formating on dates in Column E. I don't want the formatting to be applied if there is the following wording used in the cells in column H.
Eligible, Ineligible, Early Intervention, Withdrawn. In other words once a drop down list is used in a cell in Column H to enter the required text I want the current formatting applied to the cell in column E to be removed.
The current rules that I have are:
Cell Value = Today() - format cell red
Cell Value = Today()+1 - format cell orange
Cell Value = Today()+2 - format cell yellow
Cell Value < Today() - format cell text red

I would like all the formatting to be removed once the drop downlist is used in column H to enter one of the above four values. The default state of the cell in column H is a blank cell.
Thanking you in advance.

4 responses

TrowaD Posts 2921 Registration date Sunday September 12, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen December 27, 2022 552
Jul 24, 2014 at 11:29 AM
Hi Capricorn,

What you are looking for is the AND function, which lets you enter more conditions.

=AND($E2=TODAY(),$H2="")

or more specifically:

=AND($E2=TODAY(),$H2<>"Eligible",$H2<>"Ineligible",$H2<>"Early Intervention",$H2<>"Withdrawn")

Best regards,
Trowa

Hi TrowaD
Thank you for your patience. I took the file home on the weekend and finally got it work. Thank you very much.
Regards
Capricorn56
Hi Kioskea
Thank you for your reply and sorry it has taken me so long to respond. I've had some other technical issues. I have tried the formula and it doesn't work. Do you have any other suggestions I could try. Thanking you for your time.
Kind Regards
TrowaD Posts 2921 Registration date Sunday September 12, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen December 27, 2022 552
Aug 11, 2014 at 11:27 AM
Hi Capricorn,

Actually the formula works.
I put today's date in E1:E3, Eligible in H1 and Withdrawn in H3.
As a result only the date in E2 got formatted as seen in the below pic:

It is a shorter version with less conditions but it does the trick for the example shown.
It is a Dutch version where EN means AND, VANDAAG means TODAY and I have to use ; as separator instead of ,.

If you can't figure out what is happening then consider posting your workbook using a file sharing site like www.speedyshare.com or ge.tt and post back the download link. Careful with personal information.

Best regards,
Trowa

Monday, Tuesday and Thursday are usually the days I'll respond. Bear this in mind when awaiting a reply.
Hi,

I want a cell to change colour when a date that is in the cell is within 1 month of today.
Can you help with that.
I know that there is a function to do it but I am having issues and NEED HELP...
Mar 16, 2015 at 01:04 PM
Hi Keno,

Here is your requested formula:
=AND(A1<DATE(YEAR(TODAY()),MONTH(TODAY())+1,DAY(TODAY())),A1>DATE(YEAR(TODAY()),MONTH(TODAY())-1,DAY(TODAY())))

You might want to change the < and > symbols into <= and >= depending on the results you are after.

Best regards,
Trowa