Still need help

Closed
peg - Apr 29, 2009 at 06:02 AM
Highway72 Posts 233 Registration date Thursday April 2, 2009 Status Member Last seen July 16, 2009 - Apr 29, 2009 at 07:19 AM
Hello,
Can you please help me again . I read your suggestion about how to gst my old computer online but I dont understand . The one im on now is a new system and it dials up to get connected to the internet which is high speed cable. I have two boxes and have to swith a switch on to connect it . I would like to have my old computer to be able to go online too hopefully with the high speed connection I have on the new system . Is this possible ?

Can I run an usb cable from my new computer to my old one to be able to go online with both pc 's . Thankx

4 responses

Highway72 Posts 233 Registration date Thursday April 2, 2009 Status Member Last seen July 16, 2009 11
Apr 29, 2009 at 06:13 AM
you don't use USB wires to connect two PC for sharing the internet, you need a Ethernet wire (crossover type if you dont have a router or switch) and then it will work.
Thank you so much for helping me ! I just read that i could blow up both systems if i used an usb connection to get both of my pc's online !OMG you saved me !!!! THANK YOU

ok Im learning more n more about this ............... can you please help me one more time ?

You said I need a cross over cable if I dont have a router or switch . I dont think i have a router but i dont know . All i have is two boxes the cable company installed to get me online . there is a black box and a tan one . The black box has a switch on it that i have to push to get it to dial up and get online with rcn cable . Is that a router ?

also I am using a new computer with vista and my old computer is running windows 98 ....so..... with the crossover wire will I be able to connect both pc's running different windows programs ?

Thank you for all your time : )
Highway72 Posts 233 Registration date Thursday April 2, 2009 Status Member Last seen July 16, 2009 11
Apr 29, 2009 at 07:10 AM
Definition: A crossover cable directly connects two network devices of the same type to each other over Ethernet. Ethernet crossover cables are commonly used when temporarily networking two devices in situations where a network router, switch or hub is not present.

Compared to standard Ethernet cables, the internal wiring of Ethernet crossover cables reverses the transmit and receive signals. The reversed color-coded wires can be seen through the RJ-45 connectors at each end of the cable:

•Standard cables have an idential sequence of colored wires on each end
•Crossover cables have the 1st and 3rd wires (counting from left to right) crossed, and the 2nd and 6th wires crossed

An Ethernet crossover cable will also feature the name "crossover" stamped on its packaging and wire casing.

Once you have connected the wire on both pc's directly simply run the connection wizards on both machines, the host machine is the one that has the cable box connection, client is the 2nd pc...bear in mind host pc has to be on for sharing to work.
Apr 29, 2009 at 07:14 AM
As for Vista to 98 connections....thats probbly not gonna happen without a lot of faff....Vista is fantastic for networking but 98's out of date protocol will likely cripple any chances of it working properly. I'd say Vista as the host would likely be the only way to go though....
Apr 29, 2009 at 07:19 AM
http://www.littlewhitedog.com/content-8.html shows what the cables are like and how to make them if ya feeling up to it, though they are very cheap to buy.