SD card not working

Closed
Paul - Oct 12, 2016 at 11:01 AM
KY_WD Posts 2053 Registration date Thursday October 23, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 28, 2017   - Oct 18, 2016 at 07:17 AM
Hey everybody,
I am new here and thought this was the place I need te go.
firstly I have Android 6(Marshmallow) and thereby tried the use sd card as internal storage option. Because that could really help me out.
So I back up my old data, formatted in phone as internal storage. Done I thought, but some apps were really working slow because it was fully on the sd card. So I decided to switch back to adopt as portable device for music and photo's.

I removed my sd card and tried to format it on my pc. Not working.
Then I put it back into my phone and tried to auto format it. Not working it says 30% and then complete but with error message cant invoke os.storage ....
Now the data is not the problem, I had it backed up so no worries.

The only thing I want is to get my SD card back no matter what to be able to use it again.
I see it's a raw filesystem and thereby not fully cooperating with Windows OS wich I use.
If I try to format it like usual devices it says, not formatted.

Thanks in advance
Greetings Paul

P.S. I am dutch and thereby don't have perfect grammar etc. so sorry for any grammar mistakes.
Related:

2 responses

KY_WD Posts 2053 Registration date Thursday October 23, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 28, 2017   122
Oct 13, 2016 at 10:46 AM
Hello Paul,

How did you try to format the pendrive? Did you use the standart Windows tool or a third party program? You could check them over the Internet. Also, you could use a Linux Live CD to format the pendrive. Within the Ubuntu forum you can see the steps how to make a bootable flash. Once you have downloaded the .iso file, change the boot priority on the computer where the USB is placed. It is done through the BIOS and you must change the boot priority to be from USB ports and not the HDD. When it boots from the PC, you have to click on try option and not on the option to install the OS.

Hope this helps. 

Hello KY_WD,

thanks for your answer I have tried the standard windows tool and diskpart. Neither worked, after those I tried third party programs, even those didn't work.
Coincedentally I still have a USB with ubuntu on it, will try that. But don't know exactly how this does work in Ubuntu, because I always work on Windows and I am not familiar with Ubuntu commands.
though will try that.

Greetings Paul.
P.S. I will reply if it has worked but this can take some time as I don't have lots of time at the moment.
Hey,

I have tried to format my sd card and get it working on ubuntu, did not work.

I have tried using Gparted but not recognizing anything showing filesystem unknown.
If i try to format or create partition table it says i/o write and read error.
So I sort of officially declared my sd card bricked. Although I think this is very curious because of how it happend. Just by using it as internal storage on my android 6.0 phone.

Greetings Paul.
P.S. Sad, SD card broke/ bricked
also sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdd (bs=512 count=1)
KY_WD Posts 2053 Registration date Thursday October 23, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 28, 2017   122 > Paul
Oct 14, 2016 at 10:49 AM
Sorry to hear that. :( Yeah, sometimes the cards fail and it could be really frustrating. :(
Well, may be it´s time to buy a new one. :)
Have a great weekend!
Hey KY_WD,

indeed very frustrating, even more with the fact I just got the sd card for like 2 months.
You to a very nice weekend!

Greetings Paul
KY_WD Posts 2053 Registration date Thursday October 23, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 28, 2017   122 > Paul
Oct 18, 2016 at 02:52 AM
If it has warranty, return it to the vendor to switch for another working one? :)
Hey Ky_WD,

No I don't have warranty just bought it at a local store. So I think that will not have any warranty. Unfortunatly.

Still sad