Multiple If Function with priority

Closed
jenn - Oct 21, 2016 at 11:38 AM
Mazzaropi Posts 1985 Registration date Monday August 16, 2010 Status Contributor Last seen May 24, 2023 - Oct 21, 2016 at 02:05 PM
Hello,

I want and If function to have 2 criteria. Where one segment takes priority, I dont know how to do that.

Currently I have

=IF($R145="Yes","Pending",IF($R145="No","x",IF($R145="","" or IF(ap145="Active","Completed",if(ap145="Pending","Completed")))))

I'd like the function after "or" to be read first, and if it does not find it, it will work based on the formula before the "or". Is that even possible?
Related:

2 responses

Mazzaropi Posts 1985 Registration date Monday August 16, 2010 Status Contributor Last seen May 24, 2023 147
Oct 21, 2016 at 12:57 PM
jenn, Good afternoon.

Try to use:

=IF(OR(AP145="Active", AP145="Pending"),"Completed", IF($R145="Yes", "Pending", IF($R145="No", "x", IF($R145="", "",""))))

Please, tell us if it worked for you.
I hope it helps.
--
Belo Horizonte, Brasil.
Marcílio Lobão
Thank you sooo much! it work flawlessly and I'm able to understand the logic. Now my Question is that every time this formula makes a change I would like for the cell next to it provide the date. Currently what i have is

=if($AN145="Pending",TODAY(),IF($AN145="Sent",TODAY(),IF($AN145="Complete",TODAY(),IF($AN145="x","x"))))

Before it would provide me todays date and change every day. Ideally I would want to have that date to stay the same and not change unless cell AN changes (which has the formula you provided). However after the formula you help me with was enterred I am getting the statement FALSE.

Would you be able to assist me?
FYi "Sent"- wont be needed
Mazzaropi Posts 1985 Registration date Monday August 16, 2010 Status Contributor Last seen May 24, 2023 147
Oct 21, 2016 at 02:05 PM
jenn,

1)
"...Before it would provide me todays date and change every day. Ideally I would want to have that date to stay the same and not change unless cell AN changes..."

TODAY() and NOW() functions are DINAMIC.
They updated automatically.
If you want a fixed date you must enter it manually or develop a VBA programation.

2)
"...However after the formula you help me with was enterred I am getting the statement FALSE. ..."

When at IF Function the Action for the false clause is ommitted Excel return you a word FALSE.
Take a look at your IF functions. You never put any action to the False clauses.

3)
Try to use:
=IF(OR($AN145="Pending", $AN145="Complete"), TODAY(), IF($AN145="x", "x", ""))

Please, tell us if worked for you.
I hope it helps.
--
Belo Horizonte, Brasil.
Marcílio Lobão