Sharing files over a network

Closed
aeshear - May 14, 2009 at 11:18 AM
 Shahid - Dec 9, 2009 at 11:37 AM
Hello,

I am having trouble sharing folders over a network.
Both computers have Windows XP Home edition but when I tried to share files over them it only works one way.

One of the computers can access all the shared from the other computer without problem but it doesn't work the other way. The other computer can see the files under "My Network Places" but instead of being listed under the "Local Network" with folder icons (like the first computer). The files are listed under "Unspecified" and the icons look like sheets of paper with the top right corner folded down and they do not act as folders and I cannot access the information within them.

I have tried toggling with the shared folder settings on the base computer of these files but nothing seems to be working.

HELP!!!

7 responses

rabeel Posts 11 Registration date Wednesday May 13, 2009 Status Member Last seen May 29, 2009 6
May 14, 2009 at 01:15 PM
Dear fellow,
You are using XP Home for this purpose. You should login from administrator both side. Then it will work. Because i think you are login in one computer from Administrator and other side as guesst or user. So try this if it still not works then tell me. I am here to help you out. If you need more help then check my blog it will help you out more to work on easy way with XP Operating system.
Regards.
Rabeel Javed
I am logged on as an administrator on both sides, and have been from the beginning.
Shahid > aeshear
Dec 9, 2009 at 11:37 AM
Dear

When you enable the file sharing, please also check the box that ALLOW THE NETWORK USERS TO CHANGE MY FILES.

THEN YOU WILL COPY or Transfer the files without any trouble.

Please check it will works.

Regards

Shahid
Jeddah-Saudi Arabia
MS networking has always been unreliable.

XP before SP2 allowed installing SAP/Novell networking and I shared files the first try without a hitch.

I'm having these problems plus large file copying (backup files) failures so I suggest d/ling a file sharing/FTP software to load on both machines.
how to shar my document in tow system
shazzle Posts 4 Registration date Thursday November 12, 2009 Status Member Last seen December 9, 2009 2
Nov 13, 2009 at 06:58 AM
ya the folder looks like that because the file is not coping properly..I think to resolve this problem a s/w is required which is specially available for transferring files.

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
i have two computers on a wireless network. I can delete files on computer #1 from computer #2, but not the other way around. i get a message that says i don't have permission. it looks to me like all the security and share setting are the same.

thx
shazzle Posts 4 Registration date Thursday November 12, 2009 Status Member Last seen December 9, 2009 2
Dec 2, 2009 at 05:42 AM
--
Work group collaboration
Dec 2, 2009 at 05:49 AM
May be your facing such problem because of the size of the folder...you can share large files through this online tool which is available at http://www.shazzledata.com/installer/ShazzleBeta.exe/
If you wants to install shazzle for mac then it is also available for mac too...
Follow this link to install it for mac:

http://www.shazzle.com/ShazzleBetaMac64.dmg