Telnet is a protocol used for emulating a remote terminal. Telnet tool is an implementation of the Telnet protocol, which translates the protocol specifications into a programming language to create a program that can emulate a terminal. It operates in a client/server environment, meaning that the remote machine is configured as a server and consequently waits for the client to request a service from it.
What are the protocols?
Telnet is a protocol: a set of rules and procedures defined to standardize Telnet communication. For this reason, Telnet tool has been implemented across numerous platforms based on the specifications of this protocol.
How to run Telnet tool?
Telnet can be used in UNIX, Windows, and Linux.
The command to initiate a Telnet session is usually:
server_name represents the name or IP address of the remote machine that the user wants to connect to. You can also give its IP address, for example:
Finally, you can also specify the port number after the IP address or server name:
telnet 188.8.131.52 80
What are standard commands in Telnet?
Once you are connected to the remote machine, for security reasons, you will be asked to provide a login and password to keep access restricted to authorized individuals only. Indeed, Telnet is such a powerful protocol because it allows commands to be run remotely. The commands that can be run in a Telnet session are defined by the network administrator. They tend to be UNIX commands, as most Telnet servers run UNIX. The standard commands are:
|close||Close Telnet session|
|display||Show connection settings onscreen (type of terminal & port)|
|environ||defining the operating system's environmental variables|
|mode||Switches between the transfer modes ASCII (transferring a file as text) and BINARY (transferring a file in binary)|
|open||Opens another connection from the current one|
|quit||Leaves the Telnet application|
|set||Changes the connection settings|
|unset||Loads the default connection settings|
- Telnet commands
- Bios password reset tool > Download
- Windows 10 iso download without tool > Download
- Pro tools free download > Download
- Hacked instagram recovery tool > Guide
- Download windows 12 media creation tool > Download
- Change Notepad++ background and foreground colors, dark mode
- SQL Server diagram export: to another database
- Document list panel on Notepad++ is missing: how to enable?
- Move files older than X days: Windows 11,10,8,7
- 64 bit integers: C++, example
- Java Servlet Development Kit (JDSK) installation
- PHP IP address of a visitor
- How does a computer program work?