Microsoft Account temporarily suspended

Closed
jbklbjkl222 Posts 3 Registration date Thursday May 31, 2018 Status Member Last seen June 5, 2018 - Updated on May 31, 2018 at 04:55 AM
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 - Jun 6, 2018 at 06:26 AM
Hello,

Microsoft seems to be attempting to illegally gain my phone number. I signed up for a Microsoft account with a Gmail email, and use Skype, as I don't have a mobile phone number (which is why I need Skype). When I attempt to log in it states that my account as been temporarily suspended due to "someone may have used [my] account [or]... something [that] violates the Microsoft Service Agreement". I can't even log into the Microsoft forum to ask this question. I certainly have not violated the terms of service and as I log in with my email account, it would stand to reason that attackers who had my password, would also log into my email account, which hasn't occurred. Now Microsoft refuses to let me access my account, unless I provide them with my phone number... which I don't have.
Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,829
May 31, 2018 at 02:53 PM
There is nothing illegal about Microsoft asking to verify your account by sending a text to your phone. It's their system and their rules.
jbklbjkl222 Posts 3 Registration date Thursday May 31, 2018 Status Member Last seen June 5, 2018
Updated on Jun 5, 2018 at 02:57 AM
Actually I think you will find that this kind of behavior is called fraud and is illegal in pretty much every country in the world. Yes there is nothing illegal about them asking for my phone number, however it is illegal to claim that the reason for doing so is 'due to hackers breaking into my account'. When I signed up for the account a phone number was not a prerequisite and, yes I am aware that they are allowed to change their terms and conditions... but that is not what they have done. They have made a claim that hackers broke into my Skype account and sent out spam (even though none of my contacts ever received this alleged spam), that is fraud and that is illegal.
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,172 > jbklbjkl222 Posts 3 Registration date Thursday May 31, 2018 Status Member Last seen June 5, 2018
Jun 5, 2018 at 04:35 AM
The fact that your contacts didn't receive any spams does not mean that other people were not targeted using your account, hence Microsoft was completely in their right. It's not necessary for someone to be on a contact list to get spammed.
jbklbjkl222 Posts 3 Registration date Thursday May 31, 2018 Status Member Last seen June 5, 2018 > Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023
Updated on Jun 5, 2018 at 07:22 PM
Ok, So as I stated, creating an account does not require a phone number as a prerequisite, meaning anyone can create one. So questions:

1) Why would anyone bother to 'hack' an account to send spam to random people, when they can just create one?

Ans: They wouldn't, they would just create one. They would only hack an account to send spam to its contacts, so the contacts would think it was legitimate, and be more likely to accept the message at face value.

2) Look at my username on this forum, my email address is even more complicated, and my password is about 4 times more complicated than that, so if a 'hacker' has guessed it, they are extremely skilled. As I said in my question, I use the same password for my email address. Wouldn't an extremely skilled attacker (who probably spent days obtaining my password) at least take 1 minute to see if they could get into my email account?

Ans: Yes they would, but the alleged 'hacker' didn't do this, which means they are likely not skilled, which is a paradox, or Microsoft is lying.
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,172 > jbklbjkl222 Posts 3 Registration date Thursday May 31, 2018 Status Member Last seen June 5, 2018
Jun 6, 2018 at 06:26 AM
Hi

If I were a spammer, I would certainly try to use another account then mine so I could not be traced. Most of the spams on Skype are for illicit operations not for marketing goods and services. There has been an increasing numbers of frauds coming from African countries. I personally received spams but I only have three contacts for business. How do you think that spammers got a hold of my Skype account name when I use it only once every four or five months ?

Your Skype Account Can Be Hacked Using just your email address. There has been reports of a security hole in Skype's password recovery tool means that your account can be hacked using just your email address and username. There are complex Skype hacking software going around Skype that exploit the latest Skype vulnerabilities and deliver the intercepted information to external servers.

Yes hacker are skilled! Addresses and/or passwords can be obtained through intrusions either on your computer or the Skype servers. Have you lately had your computer checked for Trojan horses, spyware or other types of viruses? I can help you to do that.

Perhaps you can try creating a new account?

I trust that I have answered all of your questions to your satisfaction