No coverage in back lounge

Closed
derek3390 Posts 2 Registration date Saturday February 23, 2019 Status Member Last seen February 25, 2019 - Feb 23, 2019 at 12:23 PM
 Blocked Profile - Feb 25, 2019 at 12:51 PM
Hi,
I moved into my bungalow 3 years ago. The bungalow had been extensively extended going from a 2 bedroomed 1 lounge to a 4 bedroomed, dining room and 2 lounges. The extension is powered from an additional consumer unit (fuse box). The telephone master socket is at the front of the bungalow where the TalkTalk router is placed. I'm unable to get a decent wifi signal at the back of the bungalow. I have tried using wifi extenders that utilise the electrical power sockets but these don't work when going through the second consumer unit. When I contacted TalkTalk about this issue they recommended that I purchase their latest most powerful router and I would get a wifi signal even in my back garden. I bought this router at a £30 cost but there has been no improvement in the wifi signal in my back lounge. With also having my original router I went online and renamed both router I.D's the same, also with the same password. My thought was that I would have both routers powered up and my mobile phone wouldn't keep searching for the strongest wifi signal as I made my way from one end of the bungalow to the other. I ran a new telephone cable from the master socket to the back lounge with the intention of powering up both routers. The old router now in the back lounge would also be connected (wired) to the TalkTalk TV box.
When I have both routers on the old router can't connect to the internet even though the wifi signal strength is at maximum. When I power down the router in the front lounge I get internet connection in the back lounge.
My question is this.
How can I have both routers powered up and on at the same time?
If this is not possible is there anything else I can try
Thanks,
Roy
Related:

1 response

Blocked Profile
Feb 25, 2019 at 10:24 AM
Configure one of the routers as a bridge, so it will any translate the wifi into ip. Keep the other as router so it can translate ip into ADSL or SoNET.
derek3390 Posts 2 Registration date Saturday February 23, 2019 Status Member Last seen February 25, 2019
Feb 25, 2019 at 10:47 AM
Thanks. Just reading up on making the secondary router as a bridge. It looks like I need to run a network cable from the primary router to the secondary router and not via a telephone extension cable from the master socket. Am I correct?
Blocked Profile
Feb 25, 2019 at 12:51 PM
Yes. Although there are HPNA devices that will utilize your cat3 phone wire for etherent. There are not power plugs, but HPNA devices. You could try those first too. Look up HPNA devices to transport the ip across your cat 3. But yes. You will need a cat5 or cat 6 cable to bridge.