XP 10 dual boot - XP startup error

Closed
devoreaux Posts 5 Registration date Saturday March 2, 2019 Status Member Last seen March 7, 2019 - Mar 2, 2019 at 04:01 PM
devoreaux Posts 5 Registration date Saturday March 2, 2019 Status Member Last seen March 7, 2019 - Mar 7, 2019 at 05:57 AM
When I start the computer in XP mode, a message about some failure appears and the list of possibilities to run can be selected - emergency mode, normal mode, last good etc. With the fact that these are Windows 10 modes.

if your computer stopped responding, restarted, or was automatically shut down to protect you files or folders, choose Last Known Good Configuraton to revert to the most recent settings that worked.

If a previous startup attempt was interrupted due to power failure or because the power or reset button was pressed, or if you aren't sure what caused the problem, choose Start Windows Normally.

Safe mode,
Safe Mode with Networking,
Safe Mode with Command Prompt.
Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked)
Start Windows Normally

The point is that by clicking any of these options, I actually turn on Windows 10. Is it possible to somehow restart XP without rebuilding the XP system?

In the configuration of disks, nothing has changed, I still have the same number of partitions. It seems that during the XP launch some update has turned on.
Related:

2 responses

Blocked Profile
Mar 4, 2019 at 10:55 AM
Did it ever run? I dont think xp wil run on modern pc hardware. Post back with more details.
Blocked Profile
Mar 4, 2019 at 11:13 AM
Why are you dual booting, when ten can virtualize the machine?
devoreaux Posts 5 Registration date Saturday March 2, 2019 Status Member Last seen March 7, 2019
Mar 4, 2019 at 04:21 PM
Yes, win XP worked but I did not run it very often. Of course, XP was installed first, then 10. Until recently, I had XP and 7 and this duo worked very well for a long time. My laptop is not so new anyway, it's from 2011.

Interestingly, I recently had another problem with booting XP. This system wouldn't run due to the ntoskrnl.exe file that was written to be missed. It helped to change the partition number in the boot.ini file because W10 created the recovery partition, so the numer of XP partition had to be added one...

I was pleased mercilessly, everything worked without reservation, even an update appeared! After a while, I launched XP and such ... bummer appeared.
Blocked Profile
Mar 4, 2019 at 05:06 PM
It is because TEN uses a different file structure. The best thing you could do it you wanted to get to XP, is get another hard drive, load ten, virtualize the machine from the physical XP disk. Run ten, with Xp boot behind it. Be sure to give the XP machine ENTERPRISE NETWORK drivers, or it wont' connect to your virtual switch for updates (oh thats right, it had not been supported for YEARS!!!!!)
devoreaux Posts 5 Registration date Saturday March 2, 2019 Status Member Last seen March 7, 2019 > Blocked Profile
Mar 5, 2019 at 07:44 AM
Is it really the only way to do that? Isn't there really a "normal" way to make these systems exist on two separate partitions?

As far as I know, people somehow use the dualboot and it works....
Blocked Profile
Mar 5, 2019 at 07:53 AM
Yes, but that is an old way. Dual boot means one or the other. Virtualization means one inside another. They will both be running.
devoreaux Posts 5 Registration date Saturday March 2, 2019 Status Member Last seen March 7, 2019
Mar 5, 2019 at 06:18 PM
But I prefer genuine system. Not only for the fact that it's XP, but also it's 32-bit.
Blocked Profile
Mar 6, 2019 at 07:32 AM
genuine system? Vitualization is practically the new standard, best practice!

Ok well have fun finding hardware for the dino that is XP.