How can I get an Old School loging screen for Yahoo?

Solved/Closed
HavingProblems Posts 3 Registration date Monday October 14, 2019 Status Member Last seen October 17, 2019 - Oct 14, 2019 at 02:34 PM
SimSportPlyr Posts 2 Registration date Saturday August 24, 2013 Status Member Last seen December 30, 2019 - Dec 30, 2019 at 11:52 AM
Hello Folks -

I want to log into my Yahoo account on a new device, but I don't want to use the Account Key icon (on Windows 10 I don't see that icon), or the txt msg method. I simply want to enter my user name and password into a login screen, but I cannot find such a screen. Does it exist?

Thanks for any pointers.
Related:

2 responses

HelpiOS Posts 14283 Registration date Friday October 30, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen April 6, 2024 1,891
Updated on Oct 14, 2019 at 03:23 PM
Hi,

To log into your account without using the Account Key, you need to disable it. From the device you have access to your account, go to your security settings. Then in Yahoo Account Key click Manage > Disable Account Key.

If you have access to your account from the Yahoo Mail app instead, open the Menu and tap on the Key icon. Then, select Manage Account Key > Disable Account Key.
HavingProblems Posts 3 Registration date Monday October 14, 2019 Status Member Last seen October 17, 2019
Oct 14, 2019 at 05:02 PM
Thank you so much for your help, HelpiOS.

Before posting my question here, I was trying to log in under Windows 10. Maybe it's harder to get an old school login screen there.

I tried your suggestions on my iPhone (ios 11.3.1).

I'm having difficulty finding 'Yahoo Account Key'. If I go to 'Touch ID & Passcode', there don't seem to be any key config options.

If instead I go into Settings, then tap my name (underneath my name: Apple ID, iCloud, iTunes...), then 'Password & Security' I also don't see any options for managing the key.

If instead I go to Settings -> Accounts & Passwords -> App & Website Passwords (preceded by a key icon) I see choices for adding an account and/or password, but I don't see any key settings. BTW, while here I tried adding the Yahoo account name and password that I'm trying to use. This setting screen accepted that input, but when I go to Yahoo mail (which I logged out of earlier), I get the same results as before (it asks for an account key).

Back to Settings -> Accounts & Passwords I touch 'Add Account'. It gives me options of 'iCloud', 'Google', etc, and I touch 'Yahoo!'. There, I get the same offer to sign in that I got before my posting my OP.

So, I'm evidently looking in the wrong place wrt your first suggestion. Or, would you assuming I would try suggestion #1 at a PC (I don't have immediate access to the PC at the moment)?

When I go to Managed Account Key I get a screen, "We do not see any of your signed in devices that we can send Account Key push notifications to." I don't see any option 'Disable Account Key' or any other settings, for that matter.

WRT your 2nd suggestion, I'm not certain what you mean by 'Menu'. I have "...More' at the bottom right of the screen, but when I touch it I don't see any security or key options or key icon. If instead I touch my username icon in the upper left of the screen (I have multiple yahoo logins), I get an Accounts menu, but again I don't see a Key icon.

I have a feeling that I'm making a wrong assumption when trying to follow your instructions.
HelpiOS Posts 14283 Registration date Friday October 30, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen April 6, 2024 1,891
Oct 15, 2019 at 11:23 AM
The Account Key option isn't available from your iPhone's settings. The option can only be managed from the Yahoo Mail application or the website on a PC.

My first suggestion is dedicated for the desktop website of Yahoo Mail, but the second suggestion is for the Yahoo Mail application on your mobile, not the Mail app of your iPhone.

The Menu icon is represented by 3 horizontal lines on the Yahoo app. Check out this page for additional help.

When you saw the message "We do not see any of your signed in devices that we can send Account Key push notifications", is it on the Yahoo Mail app or on another platform?

If there's no option to disable the Account Key, it is possible that it is not enabled. In some cases, if Yahoo doesn't recognize your device or the location, it may ask you to confirm a verification code before you log in, even if the Account Key isn't enabled. For more info, click on this link.
HavingProblems Posts 3 Registration date Monday October 14, 2019 Status Member Last seen October 17, 2019
Updated on Oct 17, 2019 at 09:45 AM
Thanks again, HelpIOS!!

I was on the iPhone when I saw "We do not see any of your signed in devices that we can send Account Key." I apologize for not being more specific.

Regarding your suggestion #1, just now I tried this on Windows 10 on a desktop PC:

Attempt I.
1. I logged in using another account.
2. Go to mail.yahoo.com
3. go to settings
4. ...more settings
5. Security and Privacy
6. the only option I see is for (adding) Blocked Addresses. I don't see a way to disable key globally, for all accounts (I was not expecting to, but I tried anyway).

Attempt II.
1. I logged in using a different yahoo account
2. go to mail.yahoo.com
3. go to Setting (gear icon)
4. ... more settings
5. Mailboxes
5. Mailbox List
6. Add Mailbox
7. At 'Enter your yahoo mail address', I enter the email address I'm trying to use
8. Next (button)
9. I get a popup window: "Uh-oh We can’t sign you in right now. Please try again in a while." <- this happened five times in a row. I'll retry later.

Attempt III.
1. Signed out, I click on your 'security settings' link and I'm taken to a login screen.
2. I enter the target email address, then click the Next button
3. I get "Open your Yahoo app. Tap on the Account Key icon. Get Account key code an enter here"
4. I see no way to disable the account key.

Either I misunderstand your instructions or what I'm trying to do is not possible.

I wonder how Yahoo expects users to login after they change phones (and phone numbers) and no longer have access to the original phone, which is the case here.
Oct 18, 2019 at 09:12 AM
Your attempts 1 and 2 cannot disable the Account Key or manage your security settings. The Account Key can only be disabled if you have access to your Yahoo account from your computer or from the Yahoo application. If you are able to receive the Account Key, follow the instructions. Once you are logged in, you can disable it from the security settings.

Otherwise, go to the sign in page on your PC and enter your Yahoo email address. When you are asked to obtain an Account Key using your phone number, click I don't have access to this phone.

You will then see your other recovery options. If you have access to the recovery option displayed, such as your alternate email, click Yes, text me a verification code. Then follow the instructions to recover access to your account.