Not able to get sound using VGA/HDMI from desktop to tv

Solved/Closed
Ruthless0586 Posts 6 Registration date Thursday November 28, 2019 Status Member Last seen November 30, 2019 - Updated on Nov 28, 2019 at 11:48 PM
 LamoIdiot5 - Dec 13, 2019 at 07:58 AM
Hi, so I’ve tried for days now to get sound from my desktop to my tv and I just can’t seem to get it to work. I’ve bought everything I thought I needed for it and nothing seems to help. I’ve done this with my old laptop just using an HDMI cord with no problem, but the desktop I have now doesn’t have an HDMI port. Just wanted to know if there is something I’m missing. I’m adding everything I’ve bought so far and my tv make and model number.
The computer is a Dell that has Windows 7

Insigna

1 response

David Webb Posts 3177 Registration date Monday November 25, 2019 Status Administrator Last seen May 15, 2023   6,926
Dec 13, 2019 at 02:42 AM
Hello there,

Unfortunately a VGA to HDMI converter won't not work because VGA does not carry the audio signal like HDMI does.

You would need to install a graphics card with an HDMI port on your old PC to be able to do HDMI > HDMI

Or if your TV has a VGA port, do VGA to VGA.

Hope his helps
David Webb

Content Editor and Community Manager - CCM.net

The specifications of your vga to hdmi says it uses the USB for audio. I already told you that in a previous post.