My YT Video was Stolen and put on TikTok

Closed
susuanmark Posts 2 Registration date Monday March 22, 2021 Status Member Last seen July 9, 2021 - Updated on Jun 9, 2021 at 03:29 AM
David Webb Posts 3177 Registration date Monday November 25, 2019 Status Administrator Last seen May 15, 2023   - Jun 9, 2021 at 03:33 AM
So my family's bear photography lodge uploaded a video a couple of weeks ago of our head guide dealing with a grizzly bear bluff charge. It's done really well on YT, but a friend sent me a link to my video over on TikTok.
Someone stole it and has amassed 95.8k plays, while responding to comments like a real dingbat. Obviously, I'm not thrilled.
I've looked into filing for copyright infringement. TikTok asks that you upload a file with proof of your copyright ownership, but how do you do so when it's simply a video you took and uploaded to yt?
I realize this is a TikTok problem and not a YT one, but I was wondering if anyone has gone through the same hassle?

Please offer your advice!

1 response

David Webb Posts 3177 Registration date Monday November 25, 2019 Status Administrator Last seen May 15, 2023   6,926
Updated on Jun 9, 2021 at 03:34 AM
Hello, you will want to file a DMCA takedown notice via TikTok's Copyright Policy page.

Under most copyright laws, as soon as you create something, you automatically have copyright.

It may be slightly more difficult to prove that you are the original creator. A DMCA notice doesn't require verified proof however, and TikTok should take down the content.

Having the date that you uploaded the video to YouTube will help prove that you created the video before the TikTok account.

And if the original video is your own, you will still have the initial file that you uploaded to YouTube with all of the metadata attached to that.

Regards