Excel Macro/Code help: Creating sheet for each name in column of another sheet

Solved/Closed
excelnovice2019 Posts 12 Registration date Wednesday July 14, 2021 Status Member Last seen August 5, 2021 - Jul 14, 2021 at 01:21 PM
vcoolio Posts 1404 Registration date Thursday July 24, 2014 Status Moderator Last seen September 15, 2023 - Jul 22, 2021 at 08:54 PM
Hello!
I am working on a project at my internship and ran into some issues finishing up some of the features I want to implement. The excel is a file to track training for a specific role at the company. The first sheet (pictured below) has a list of the employees and the courses as well as a record of the date of each employees' completion of the course. What I want to implement is something to create a specific sheet for each name in each column. The person's name should be the name of this new sheet and the sheet needs to follow a specific format (pictured below as well). As you can see, this new sheet pulls the original course list as well as that employee's completion record and then using formulas pulls any meaningful statistics from it. I am hoping there is some macro or code that can be made to execute this command and automatically update and create this sheet. If anyone could help me with creating this feature or if you know of a way to do it without macros/code, I would appreciate any help. (Note: due to the nature of my position I am unable to share the actual file but I have created an exact replica with replaced inputs (fake names, courses, dates, etc) to show how it would look like). Thank you in advance for any and all help!

Additional info: There are currently 22 courses in the sheet, with all sheets being built to automatically handle up to 55 courses. There are also currently 14 employees in the training program.

System Configuration: Windows / Chrome 91.0.4472.124
Related:

12 responses

vcoolio Posts 1404 Registration date Thursday July 24, 2014 Status Moderator Last seen September 15, 2023 259
Jul 15, 2021 at 07:22 AM
Hello ExcelNovice2019,

Based on the information that you have supplied, we have to assume that:-

- The only data that is transferred from your "Input" sheet to the individual Employee sheets would be the Course Name and the Employee completion record (which appears to be just dates).
- The remaining columns of data that you need in the individual Employee sheets are created by formulae that you already have ready to go.

If the assumptions are correct, then I would recommend having a "Template" sheet which is copied for each Employee. The template sheet would only require the course names listed in Column A with the remaining headings as per your second image.

A VBA sub-routine that could do this is as follows:-
Option Explicit
Sub Test()

Dim wsI As Worksheet: Set wsI = Sheets("Input")
        Dim wsT As Worksheet: Set wsT = Sheets("Template")
        Dim ws As Worksheet
        Dim i As Long, lr As Long, Id As Object, key As Variant, lCol As Long

Application.ScreenUpdating = False
Application.Calculation = xlCalculationManual

wsI.Range("D1:Q1").Copy
        wsI.[BA2].PasteSpecial xlValues, Transpose:=True

Set Id = CreateObject("Scripting.Dictionary")
        lr = wsI.Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row
        wsI.Range("D2:Q" & lr).Copy wsI.[BB2]

For i = 2 To lr
              If Not Id.Exists(wsI.Range("BA" & i).Value) Then
              Id.Add wsI.Range("BA" & i).Value, 1
              End If
        Next i

For Each key In Id.keys
              If Not Evaluate("ISREF('" & CStr(key) & "'!A1)") Then
              wsT.Copy After:=Sheets(Sheets.Count)
              ActiveSheet.Name = key
        End If

Set ws = Sheets(CStr(key))
        ws.Range("B2", ws.Range("B" & ws.Rows.Count).End(xlUp)(2)).ClearContents
        lCol = wsI.Cells(2, Columns.Count).End(xlToLeft).Column

With wsI.Range("BA1:BA" & lr)
              .AutoFilter 1, key
              .Offset(1, 1).Resize(, lCol).Copy
              ws.[B2].PasteSpecial xlValues, Transpose:=True
              .AutoFilter
        End With
              ws.Columns.AutoFit
        Next key
              wsI.Select

Application.Calculation = xlCalculationAutomatic
Application.ScreenUpdating = True

End Sub

This sub will create a new worksheet for each employee based on a template sheet, name each sheet after each individual employee and then copy/paste the employee completion record with the formulae that you have implemented doing the rest.
All your formulae will need to be placed in the relative cells in the template sheet.

I've attached a mock-up workbook at the below link with the code implemented showing how this would work. Just click on the "TEST" button.

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/84f40d7044c84b88eb38fcaa2cea866620210715111702/73fb93

I hope that this helps.

Cheerio,
vcoolio.
excelnovice2019 Posts 12 Registration date Wednesday July 14, 2021 Status Member Last seen August 5, 2021
Jul 15, 2021 at 04:21 PM
I'm not sure if my reply to your message reached you or if I accidentally submitted an answer instead of a comment, so just wanted to let you know I replied earlier if you didn't see it. Sorry if you did get a notification. Thanks again for your help!
excelnovice2019 Posts 12 Registration date Wednesday July 14, 2021 Status Member Last seen August 5, 2021
Jul 15, 2021 at 11:13 AM
Hey vcoolio!
Thank you so much for your help! I implemented the code and am testing it and am encountering some issues. When I run the macro it gives me "Run time error '13': type mismatch". The line of code is "If Not Evaluate("ISREF('" & CStr(key) & "'!A1)") Then". The macro still runs somewhat successfully. It does create a sheet for each name and follows the template. However (and I think this is what the run time error is referring to) each template has incorrect dates. For example name 1 in column 1 would have dates going across row 1 (for course 1) when it needs to have the dates in column 1. The only other issue I see is when it copies the completion dates over and applies to the template, it erases the tentative completion date column, leaving it blank/devoid of the original formula.
One final question: would it be possible to have the copied over completion dates refer back to the original table it was copied from so that should any date be modified in the future each individual sheet will automaticaaly match? Thanks again!
Sincerely,
excelnovice
vcoolio Posts 1404 Registration date Thursday July 24, 2014 Status Moderator Last seen September 15, 2023 259
Jul 15, 2021 at 08:04 PM
Hello ExcelNovice,

In the sample that I have supplied, I cannot replicate the error and the entire process works as it should. If you are receiving an error "Type MisMatch" then this would suggest that your actual workbook is not set out as per the information supplied.

"For example name 1 in column 1 would have dates going across row 1 (for course 1) when it needs to have the dates in column 1."

Are you referring to the Template sheet? The dates in each template copy are placed in Column B(2 not 1), vertically not horizontally.

"One final question: would it be possible to have the copied over completion dates refer back to the original table it was copied from so that should any date be modified in the future each individual sheet will automaticaaly match? "

I'm assuming that your are referring to a 'refresh'. Once any data is changed in the 'Input' sheet, simply click on the button again to update the destination sheets.

I think that the best thing for you to do next is to upload a sample of your workbook to a free file sharing site such as WeTransfer or Drop Box and then post the link to your file back here. Ensure that the sample is an exact replica of your actual workbook. Please use dummy data.

Cheerio,
vcoolio.
Updated on Jul 15, 2021 at 10:13 PM
Here is the file. All of the data is correct and as is. I made a button with your macro so you can test it out. You should encounter the error I am seeing. Perhaps I missed something in the code? Also once the sheets are created from that macro, check them versus the original table. Thank you for your help again!
https://wetransfer.com/downloads/99c9246449031eed04d6965921e01bb020210716021009/36118b
Jul 16, 2021 at 01:29 AM
Hello ExcelNovice,

An adjustment to the transpose function should sort it out for you. Here's the amended code:-

Option Explicit
Sub Test()

Dim wsI As Worksheet: Set wsI = Sheets("Full Table")
        Dim ws As Worksheet

Application.DisplayAlerts = False

wsI.Range("D1:Q1").Copy

wsI.Range("D2:Q" & lr).Copy
        wsI.[BB2].PasteSpecial , Transpose:=True

For i = 2 To lr
              End If
        Next i
        On Error Resume Next
        For Each key In Id.keys
              ActiveSheet.Name = key
              End If

.AutoFilter 1, key
                      ws.[GA2].PasteSpecial , Transpose:=True
                      ws.Range("GA2", ws.Range("GA" & ws.Rows.Count).End(xlUp)).Copy ws.[B2]
                      .AutoFilter
              End With
              ws.Columns.AutoFit
        Next key
              wsI.Select
        For Each ws In Worksheets
        If Right(ws.Name, 3) Like "(#)" Then ws.Delete
        Next ws

Application.CutCopyMode = False
Application.DisplayAlerts = True

End Sub

Also, in the Template sheet, clear the contents of Column B and save the workbook as such. You don't need formulae in this column. These formulae are extracting data from the "Full Table" sheet which is what the code is supposed to do.

I hope that this helps.

Cheerio,
vcoolio.
Jul 16, 2021 at 02:59 AM
Thank you so much! It is perfect. However, I have one thing I need help with on the macro. If you add a new employee to the column, I got the macro to copy the column and transpose it to the table and create a sheet for it, however, for some reason, it does not populate the sheet with the dates or anything in the original column. I was wondering where in the macro is the code for pasting the transposed data over to the newly created sheet.
Otherwise it is absolutely amazing and I am extremely grateful!

If you are feeling up for an easier challenge, I would like this workbook to have one more macro to create an archive. My current vision for it is a button that takes the user typed named in "Individual Report" and copies the name and the completion date of the final course to a sheet titled archive. It then deletes the employee from the original table. That employee''s sheet (the one created through the above macro) stays in existence. Ideally, the macro will keep the original table looking neat (so if the first employee in the table is moved to archive, there won't be a blank column) and won't stop the first macro from working. Furthermore, the macro would need to be able to adjust to new courses. So if a new course is added, replacing the previous last course, then the macro for the archive needs to be able to update existing records and create new ones based on the new criteria.
I completely understand if you do not want to help with this. You have already done more than enough for me! You do have the file still so you should have everything you need to make it if you do decide to help. Once again thank you for working with me and helping me so far, espeically through the bugs of the first macro.
Finally, here is the adjusted macro I was working with.
Option Explicit
Sub IndividualSheetCreator()

Dim ws As Worksheet

wsI.Range("D1:AJ1").Copy

wsI.Range("D2:AJ" & lr).Copy
wsI.[BB2].PasteSpecial , Transpose:=True

For i = 2 To lr
End If
Next i
On Error Resume Next
For Each key In Id.keys
ActiveSheet.Name = key
End If

.AutoFilter 1, key
.AutoFilter
End With
ws.Columns.AutoFit
Next key
wsI.Select
For Each ws In Worksheets
If Right(ws.Name, 3) Like "(#)" Then ws.Delete
Next ws

End Sub

Sincerely,
Excelnovice2019

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Updated on Jul 16, 2021 at 09:24 AM
Hello ExcelNovice,

I've made a few changes to the code to tidy it up a little further for you. It is now dynamic (not hard coded) for the columns to allow for any future column additions which means you won't have to alter the code to allow for additional columns.
I've also added a helper worksheet to do some of the nitty gritty stuff. I was previously using the nether regions of the main sheet to do this but it created too much clutter for my liking. In the code, you'll see it as the variable wsH. Just to be original, I've named it "Helper".
Hence, in your actual workbook, open a new sheet, name it "Helper", add a few headings in row1 (anything will do!) for a few columns starting with Column A then save the changes to the workbook.

Here's the updated code:-

Option Explicit
Sub Test()

Dim wsH As Worksheet: Set wsH = Sheets("Helper")
        Dim ws As Worksheet, Id As Object, key As Variant
        Dim i As Long, lr As Long, lrH As Long, lCol As Long

wsH.UsedRange.Offset(1).Clear
        lCol = wsI.Cells(1, Columns.Count).End(xlToLeft).Column
        wsI.Range("D1").Resize(, lCol).Copy '----> Dynamic for columns, not hard coded.
        wsH.[A2].PasteSpecial xlValues, Transpose:=True

wsI.Range("D2:D" & lr).Resize(, lCol).Copy '----> Dynamic for columns, not hard coded.
        wsH.[B2].PasteSpecial , Transpose:=True

lrH = wsH.Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row

For i = 2 To lrH
              If Not Id.Exists(wsH.Range("A" & i).Value) Then
                    Id.Add wsH.Range("A" & i).Value, 1
              End If
        Next i

For Each key In Id.keys
                    ActiveSheet.Name = key
              End If

With wsH.Range("A1", wsH.Range("A" & wsH.Rows.Count).End(xlUp))
                      .AutoFilter 1, key
                      .CurrentRegion.Offset(1, 1).Copy
                      .AutoFilter
              End With
              ws.Columns.AutoFit
        Next key
              wsI.Select

End Sub

Following is the link to your sample workbook with the changes implemented. The code is assigned to the button.

https://we.tl/t-FsaMheK0Dq

Add some more columns with test names and data then run the code to see if it's how you were hoping it would work.

I'll have a look at your other query over the next day or so. BTW, how do you envisage the set out of the "Archive" sheet?

I hope that this helps.

Cheerio,
vcoolio.

P.S. Remember to clear out Column B from row 2 in the Template sheet. The formulae in this column are not needed.
Jul 16, 2021 at 10:04 AM
The first macro is perfect so thank you so much! I have cleared out column B and also noticed some flaws in the template formulas which I fixed so thanks for indirectly helping me spot that. As for the archive, I mostly envision it as just a sheet with the employee name and the date they completed all the training. I was thinking maybe I run a formula that returns a boolean checking to see if all the courses are complete and that the macro would use that boolean to determine if each employee should be moved to the archive. This version could be automatic and not require user input like my last message. However, the rest would still be the same. It would pull that info into the archive and delete the original column from the full table. THe individual sheet would not be affected. The code would also need to be able to work if new courses are added. So if employee A finished training when there was 23 courses, they should go into the archive with the date they completed the last course, but if I then add 2 more courses, any future employees only get moved to the archive if they have finished 25 courses. As a reminder, the workbook is setup to handle a max of 55 courses (which realistically will never be reached). Let me know if I answered your question, I am not sure if I understood it. Thanks again and no rush! Enjoy the weekend!
Jul 17, 2021 at 09:18 AM
Hello ExcelNovice,

"As for the archive, I mostly envision it as just a sheet with the employee name and the date they completed all the training."

I'd assume then that the "Archive" sheet would have just two columns: Employee name (Column A) and completion date (Column B).

I was thinking that perhaps you could use the Individual Report sheet for this purpose. This sheet is obviously for employee assessment so it could be the best place to determine who to archive from. If so, I'd suggest that you use cell B2, in which you place employee names anyway, and cell C2 with the criteria "Course Completed". The names could be placed in a drop down data validation list in B2 and the criteria "Course Completed" could simply be typed in once the training assessor (I assume this would be you) considers that an employee has attained an acceptable percentage of training. I've noticed that once an employee name is placed in B2, their statistics populate due to the formulae that you have in place. Hence my reasoning for operating from this sheet.
I could quite easily create a sub-routine based on this to archive an employee and delete their respective column from the Full Table sheet. An event code could be used so no button would be required. The event would be triggered by typing the criteria "Course Completed" in C2.

Just some thoughts on what could be done for your final piece of the puzzle.

Cheerio,
vcoolio.
Jul 18, 2021 at 02:17 PM
I like your idea very much. In addition, after thinking it over, I was wondering how difficult it would be under this idea to have a third column in the archive sheet that can be regularly updated to show any new trainings that archived employees need to complete. For example, if employee finished course #22 (the last one currently) and was sent to the archive using this system, but then two new courses were added to the plan, how easy would it be to show those two courses in a third column in the archive as needing to be completed? And then when they are completed to be removed when a date is typed in? Thanks! Hope you've had a good weekend!
Jul 19, 2021 at 07:28 AM
Hello EN,

Well, we could try this:

Firstly, create a copy of your actual workbook and name it something else (perhaps "My Scrap Heap"?!?).
Next, open a new worksheet and name it "Archive".
In row1 starting at Column A, place the following three headings:-
Employee, Date Courses Completed, No. of Courses Completed
(or name them whatever suits you).
In the Full Table sheet, in cell D25, place this formula:

=COUNTA(A2:A70)
(I'm assuming that you won't have any more than 70 courses).
This will give you a count of all courses. I've selected D25 randomly so if this whole exercise works for you, you can find a more suitable place for it and amend the code below (Private Sub Workbook_Open()) to suit.

Next, in the "Individual Report" sheet, place the same formula in cell C1 but amend it to A5:A70.
In cell B1 of the same sheet, place the heading "Completed Courses:"
Still use B2 to place the employee name into and C2 to type the criteria "Courses completed".

In the same Module as the code that creates the new worksheets, paste this code just below it:-
Sub Test2()
        Dim c As Range, FindName As String, lr As Long, lcol As Long, wsI As Worksheet
        Set wsI = Sheets("Full Table")
        FindName = Sheet6.[B2].Value
        lcol = wsI.Cells(1, Columns.Count).End(xlToLeft).Column

For Each c In wsI.Range("D1").Resize(, lcol)
                If c.Value = FindName Then
                c.EntireColumn.Delete
                End If
        Next c

End Sub

Now, in the 'ThisWorbook" module, place this code:-
Private Sub Workbook_Open()

Dim c As Range, wsI As Worksheet, wsAr As Worksheet, EmpName As String
        Set wsI = Sheets("Full Table")
        Set wsAr = Sheets("Archive")

For Each c In wsAr.Range("C2", wsAr.Range("C" & wsAr.Rows.Count).End(xlUp))
                If c.Value < wsI.[D25].Value Then
                EmpName = c.Offset(, -2).Value
                MsgBox "Employee " & EmpName & " " & "is required to complete additional courses." & vbNewLine & _
                "Please refer to the Full Table sheet for details.", vbExclamation, "COURSE UPDATE REQUIRED"
                Else: Exit Sub
                End If
        Next c

End Sub

In the "Individual Report" sheet module, paste this code:-
Option Compare Text
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)

If Intersect(Target, Range("C2")) Is Nothing Then Exit Sub
        If Target.Value = vbNullString Then Exit Sub
        If Target.Count > 1 Then Exit Sub

If Target.Value = "Courses completed" Then
                Target.Offset(, -1).Copy Sheets("Archive").Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(3)(2)
                Sheets("Archive").Range("B" & Rows.Count).End(3)(2) = Format(Date, "dd/mm/yyyy")
                Sheets("Archive").Range("C" & Rows.Count).End(3)(2) = Range("C1").Value
                Target.ClearContents
        End If

Sheets("Archive").Columns.WrapText = False
        Sheets("Archive").Columns.AutoFit
        Test2
        Range("B2").ClearContents

End Sub

In the "Individual Report" sheet, in cell B2, I'd recommend that you place a data validation drop down list of all employees. I've noticed discrepancies between the employee names in the "Full Table " sheet and those that you type into cell B2. These discrepancies are basically the inadvertent addition of 'ghost' characters, in this case additional leading/trailing spaces, additional spaces between names. These characters are mostly accidentally added but they will cause the code Test2 to fail as Excel always requires exact matches for this type of search code (any code actually). So please always ensure proper spelling and punctuation when cross-referencing. This is where a validation list will help you (and any other user) immensely. The name headings in the "Full Table" list HAVE to be exact matches.

The WorkBook_Open code will produce a message box each time the workbook is opened warning you that Employee such and such will need to complete further courses. The message box will appear for every employee who needs to complete more courses. If there is only one employee who has to, one message box will appear. If there are five employees who have to, five message boxes will appear one after the other giving you the name of each employee who is required to do further courses.

Hence, what to do next:-
- Save the copy workbook as an .xlsm file once you have added all the above codes, sheets, amendments etc..
- Open the copy workbook and run the code that creates the individual worksheets. Save this again.
- In the "Individual Report" sheet, select say Hannah Rizzo in B2. Cell C1 should be showing the total count of courses completed (assume all 22 are done and dusted).
- Type "Courses completed" in C2 then click away from the cell (or press Enter or down arrow). The employee name, date of completion, and course count will be added to the "Archive" sheet and the employee column will be deleted from the "Full Table" list. The course count in the "Archive" sheet is the key to warning you that and employee may need to do more courses.
- In the "Full Table" sheet, make a couple of dummy entries at the bottom of the current course list in Column A.
- Save and close the workbook. When you next open it, you'll see a message box appear with the warning as the course count (D25) is now greater than the count of Hannah's completed courses.

If you're not sure how to add an event code to a worksheet module, then here's how to implement them:-

With the Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range):-
- Right click on the "Individual Report" sheet tab.
- Select "View Code" from the menu that appears.
- In the big white code field that then appears, paste the code.

With the
Private Sub Workbook_Open()
:-
-Open the VB Editor and over to the left in the Project Explorer, double click on 'ThisWorkbook'.
- In the big white code field, paste the code.

I hope that this helps.

Cheerio,
vcoolio.
Jul 19, 2021 at 05:11 PM
just tested all of this and it's incredible and exactly what I need! Per your suggestion for data validation/dropdown for the name lookup, do you know how I can do that easily and have the list update for any new names?

Furthermore, one more thing I would like your help to solve. If you look at the overall stat sheet, you will see I refer to the full table to pull the names into this sheet. This presents a problem as if a user is archived they are removed from the full table. However, I still want to use their training statistics. I just need a way to have the name populate in this table for my lookup formulas to work.
Do you know of a way I can have it pull archived names to the sheet?
To illustrate how I have been trying to solve this issue, I wrote an IFERROR command into the formula. See, if an employee is archived, their column in the stat sheet becomes one big REF error, so I wrote the IFERROR, to try and direct it to pull from the column in the archive, but the issue I realized is it is not 100% foolproof that this formula will always pull the correct name. For example, the third column in the overall stat sheet is Melissa. If Hannah and she are archived, her name will be the second entry in the archive, but the current formula would assume she would be in C4 (one below where she would be). Any ideas on how to solve this?

One final thing I am interested in regarding this, would there be an easy way to reverse the archive process you just made? For example, if I accidentally archived Hannah but she shouldn't have been, could there be code to easily revert back to the way it was before? I just tested to see if you could just undo the change but undo does not work.

Thanks again for your help!
-ExcelNovice2019
Updated on Jul 19, 2021 at 07:51 AM
.....................here's a link to a sample file:-

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/0cab9ac17e26d072230912d2c90f660320210719114321/5d0008

In this sample, one employee column has been deleted (22 courses completed) and I've saved the workbook with two additional courses added to the bottom of the course list in Column A.
The employee details should be in the Archive sheet.
When you open the file, the message box should appear.

Cheerio,
vcoolio.

P.S. In the Full Table sheet, I've actually placed the formula in C25.
Updated on Jul 20, 2021 at 02:39 AM
Hello EN,

A) With creating a data validation drop down list, I think a good place to have it would be in the "Info Sheet".
Hence:-
- In your "Info Sheet", select a column two or three columns away from your other info and name it Employee List. Enter the names of all employees below the heading. Select the entire list including the heading.
- Go to the Formulas tab in the ribbon and in the Defined Names group, select Define Name. The 'New Name' dialogue box will appear with the column heading in the name box. In the 'Refers To' box, the cell references should be now showing. Click OK.
- With the list still high-lighted, go to the Insert tab in the ribbon and select 'Table'. The 'Create Table" dialogue box should appear. The 'Where is the data for your table?' box should now show the cell references. Tick the 'My table has headers' box. Click OK.
You now have a named range of employee names in table format.

Next:-
- Go to the Individual Report sheet, select cell B2. Go to the Data tab in the ribbon and in the Data Tools group, select Data Validation by clicking on the little drop down arrow. From the list that appears, select 'Data Validation'. The Data Validation dialogue box will appear.
- In this dialogue box, select List from the drop down in the Allow box.
- Click in the Source box then go to the newly created table an select the whole table. Once you have done this, the named range will appear in the Source box. Click OK.
You now have a data validation list in B2 of the Individual Report sheet. You can add or remove names as required in the list in the "Info Sheet". It's a good idea to sort the list when names are removed because, should you remove a name from the middle of the list, you'll end up with a blank cell within the drop down list. Click on the drop down icon beside the list name to do this. Blank cells will be moved to the bottom of the list.

Just to re-iterate from my previous post, ensure all names are spelled/punctuated exactly the same so that the headings and the drop down list match exactly.

B) As for your query about reversing the archive process, the simplest method of salvaging the data would be to NOT save any changes. However, I have found that the best method of dealing with the wrong data being deleted is to prevent it from happening in the first place.

To do this, update the Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) within the Individual Report sheet to this:-

Option Compare Text
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)

Dim Check As String, EmpName As String
        EmpName = Range("B2").Value

If Intersect(Target, Range("C2")) Is Nothing Then Exit Sub
        If Target.Value = vbNullString Then Exit Sub
        If Target.Count > 1 Then Exit Sub

If Target.Value = "Courses completed" Then
        Check = MsgBox("With Employee: " & EmpName & vbNewLine & _
        "Are you sure that you have selected the correct details to archive and delete?", vbYesNo + vbCritical, "WARNING")
        If Check = vbNo Then Exit Sub
                Target.Offset(, -1).Copy Sheets("Archive").Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(3)(2)
                Sheets("Archive").Range("B" & Rows.Count).End(3)(2) = Format(Date, "dd/mm/yyyy")
                Sheets("Archive").Range("C" & Rows.Count).End(3)(2) = Range("C1").Value
                Target.ClearContents
        End If

Sheets("Archive").Columns.WrapText = False
        Sheets("Archive").Columns.AutoFit
        Test2
        Range("B2").ClearContents

End Sub

Before the code completely executes, a message box will appear basically asking the User to ensure that the correct details are to be archived and deleted. If the User realises an error and selects the "No" option, nothing will happen. If the User has checked and ensured that all is well and selects the "Yes" option, the code will fully execute.
My wife works at a law firm and I've programmed this method into a couple of her workbooks as she became totally frustrated with "clever" Users making the very same mistake that you mention (always in a rush!). She has quite a few "clever" people working around her! The success rate with this method at her workplace is so far 100%. I suppose that there's a psychological aspect to this: having a warning message continually slapped in your face each time you click a button asking you to check something is correct before doing something else. It makes a User mad enough to actually be aware that something may not be correct.

Furthermore, one more thing I would like your help to solve. If you look at the overall stat sheet, you will see I refer to the full table to pull the names into this sheet. This presents a problem as if a user is archived they are removed from the full table. However, I still want to use their training statistics. I just need a way to have the name populate in this table for my lookup formulas to work. 

As each individual's worksheet still remains after having their column deleted from the Full Table sheet, could you not extract the data from there?

Cheerio,
vcoolio.
Jul 21, 2021 at 04:49 PM
Hey vcoolio!
Thank you for all your help! I successfully implemented all your suggestions from this post and it works well. The project is 99% done. There is one tiny thing I need your help with. In the overall stats sheet, I am trying to pull the course name that appears the most amongst all the trainees. The formula I had in worked, but it no longer works because I set up the table to prepopulate for up to 100 trainees. The blanks throw off the calculation of the max formula. I was wondering if you knew of a way to get the formula to ignore blank cells and just find the max text string in the cells that have text. Thanks again for everything! I really appreciate you saving me here!
Jul 21, 2021 at 09:02 PM
Hello EN,

A good method that will do the same task for you and ignore blanks is to use the AGGREGATE function:-

E.G.:
=AGGREGATE(4,6,C1:O1)

- The number 4 specifies MAX.
- The number 6 is the option to ignore errors. This includes blanks.
- I've randomly made up the range(C1:O1) so test it on your actual range.

To obtain an understanding of how this very powerful function works, test it by selecting any blank cell then type in
=AGGREGATE(
When you've typed in the first "(" a list of function options will appear and you'll see that MAX is number 4. Next, after you've typed in a comma after the 4, another list of options will appear and you'll see that the number 6 (ignore error values) is, in this case, your required option. After you've typed in the next comma, add the required range and close the formula off with the final parentheses.

Cheerio,
vcoolio.
Jul 22, 2021 at 02:10 AM
Good morning vcoolio!

I came across that formula in my searches and tried it but when I did for both min and max courses it returned a value of 0. Does that formula work when the only data in the array is text strings, errors, or blanks? Is there a way to modify the formula for it to work or am I just doing something wrong with implementing it? Apologies to be bothering you/requesting so much help.

Sincerely,
Joe Risi
Jul 22, 2021 at 03:51 AM
Hello EN,

You may be better off using the COUNTIF function but without seeing how you've implemented your formula I'd just be guessing.
Upload another sample showing the formula implemented and how you're using it with the expected result.

Cheerio,
vcoolio.
Jul 22, 2021 at 02:01 PM
Hey vcoolio!
I was able to find a formula that worked. In case you are curious here it is: {=INDEX(B5:F5,MODE(IF(B5:F5<>"",MATCH(B5:F5,B5:F5,0))))}
The project is now complete. Thank you so much for all your help! I greatly appreciate it! Have a great day!

Sincerely,
Excelnovice2019
Jul 22, 2021 at 08:54 PM
Good day EN,

Excellent! Good to know that you've sorted it out and you're welcome. I'm glad to have been able to assist.
Good luck with your internship.

Cheerio,
vcoolio.