App Password "This Feature isn't Available Right Now"

Closed
DavidS - Oct 22, 2022 at 09:40 PM
 Enduroelm - Aug 19, 2023 at 01:47 AM

I am trying to set up Yahoo! IMAP in my Office 365

I know how to do this by getting a one-off app password through Yahoo! Security

For a few days now I simply get a message saying "this feature isn't available right now" when I try to generate that password.

I note online some mention of a dropdown list for various apps but there is none.

Also tried other browsers still no luck

Does anybody know whether this is temporary, permanent, known error or what?

I would happily give up my Yahoo! account which I rarely use but they don't even provide auto-forwarding any more.

Windows / Chrome 106.0.0.0

Related:

6 responses

Yahoo turned off the function and I suspect they are trying to force us into the Yahoo mail browser and paid Yahoo + ...everyone is going nuts. I've used my yahoo in Outlook for 27 years...time to change! 

HelpiOS Posts 14289 Registration date Friday October 30, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen April 7, 2024 1,890
Updated on Sep 15, 2023 at 02:37 PM

Hi,

App passwords are currently unavailable for all Yahoo Mail users. As you can see it on Yahoo's feedback page, a lot of people are complaining about this problem.

Yahoo provided an answer on June 1, 2022 which is:

We’re very sorry app passwords are currently unavailable for Yahoo Mail accounts. Rest assured, you can still access your mail from the Yahoo Mail app or via a web browser. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you.

The problem isn't new, and unfortunately, there's still no solution at this time.

Updates

June 13, 2023 - source:

[...] we’ve made the process to create App Specific Passwords more secure. This can result in some difficulty when trying to set up an ASP from a new device. Please ensure that you try creating an app password without using an Incognito browser and use a browser where you have signed into that account in the past, for at least a couple of days. If this is not successful, there may not be a workaround; as we don't know if or when this feature will be available, we encourage you to use Webmail or the Yahoo Mail app to access your email. [...]

Any solution ever found to this? "Sorry, this feature is not available right now!"

This is so stupid on yahoo's part!! Why the F do you need an additional app pw to make it work with outlook?? I remember a time when I just needed the email address and pw and tthat was it!!!!

marke74 Posts 1 Registration date Tuesday November 29, 2022 Status Member Last seen November 29, 2022 2
Nov 29, 2022 at 07:30 PM

@Antonio

What app name did you use?

Maybe that is what made it work.

I was able to generate a password on an old yahoo account using 'Outlook' as the app name, but was not able to generate a password on a newer Yahoo account using the same browser, web page and name.

I had the same problem.

I took my iPhone and tried on the yahoo mail app, generate new app password and it worked!

I don't know whether I was just lucky or what.

Hope that it works for you.

@Antonio: Did not work for me

Worked on my Samsung Android phone. Generated a password I fed into Outlook.

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question

I had an issue and lost my app password (for Outlook Desktop) on 19 Jan 2023, and like many I could not get a new app password.  Yahoo support rep.  told me that the function would be repaired after 48 hours.  I have been checking every few days,  and last checked Monday or Tuesday this week. Every time I received the "function not available" message shown below.

Finally this morning I WAS able to generate the app password that I needed.

Outlook is now receiving all my yahoo mail again.

Old error message:

Hi there,

I had been trying twice a week since October until Christmas. I decided to try again this evening. It worked!!! I have not got Outlook accessing Yahoo just like it used to.

I just used Outlook Desktop as usual but this time it worked.

It didn't worked for me. I have been trying to generate password many times. but not working. displayed 'this feature is not available at present' . I would like to access yahoo via outlook desktop.

Please help me to resolve this issue.