Connecting vista & xp in a peer 2 peer

Closed
wagus - Jun 24, 2008 at 07:42 AM
caffeinedeath Posts 11 Registration date Wednesday October 29, 2008 Status Member Last seen February 3, 2009 - Feb 3, 2009 at 10:01 AM
Hello,
i have been able to connect both my vista laptop and my xp laptop together in a peer to peer way.i ip address is correct,i m able to ping the two machine correctly,i have shared a couple of document on both computers.i can access the shared document shared on the vista laptop on the winxp machine but i cann't access the shared document shared on the winxp through the vista machine.i'm able to see the winxp on the vista but when i double click it,it alwalys gives an error that windows cannot access it.please help me out so that i can access my shared documents through my vista laptop on my winxp laptop
Related:

4 responses

can you take me step by step my laptop is running on vista and my desktop on xp. I have the cable but i am failing to link the two together pliz help me
HI,

I have a Vista laptop and an Xp desktop computer.
I haven't attempted to try and connect my two machines together, so before I do, Can someone please tell me how to do it.

Thanks!

Stephen.
Here is what to do to solve your problem

1) On your XP machine, create a network workgroup called "WORKGROUP"

2) On your XP machine create an account with the exact same name as the user account on your vista machine (MUST BE PASSWORD PROTECTED!) - Allows your Vista machine to see files on your XP machine

3) Create a user account on your Vista Machine with the same name as your XP user acount (MUST BE PASSWORD PROTECTED!) - allows your XP machine to look at your vista machine

Voila! XP and Vista have been networked :-)
That didn't work. XP machine with printer still says access denied to my Vista machine. Both have the same username and password.
caffeinedeath Posts 11 Registration date Wednesday October 29, 2008 Status Member Last seen February 3, 2009 9
Oct 30, 2008 at 11:34 AM
check out the link here.you can share any file from vista to xp and vice versa.
http://techtricks.co.in/?p=63
caffeinedeath Posts 11 Registration date Wednesday October 29, 2008 Status Member Last seen February 3, 2009 9
Feb 3, 2009 at 10:01 AM
stephen and wizzy
the above link at techtricks.co.in has step by step instructions.check if thats what you wanted.