Skype - Pros - Cons

EnigmaMachine Posts 2 Registration date Sunday June 25, 2023 Status Member Last seen June 28, 2023 - Updated on Jun 25, 2023 at 06:30 PM
ravida_1351 Posts 57 Registration date Thursday March 23, 2023 Status Member Last seen July 2, 2023 - Jul 2, 2023 at 02:53 AM

Hello Gang

I used Skype years ago (it worked fine), I realize there's other (newer) platforms, Skype still seems to work fine (for now), except they've REMOVED Split Screen. Need to conduct interview for a documentary. Another disadvantage is the their Built-In Video Recorder - Diifficult to locate the MP4's and wierd conversation of a TAR file. Too many hoops - Too many obstacles. I've choosen Movavi Screen Recorder which I've used before. Easy access to the recording. Any other ideas or recommendations?

Thank You 

Related:

4 responses

HelpiOS Posts 14307 Registration date Friday October 30, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen April 19, 2024 1,890
Jun 26, 2023 at 04:54 PM

Hi,

You can retrieve Split Screen by downloading Skype 8.96.0.409.

For the screen recorder, there's also a built-in recorder in Windows. To access it, press the Windows + G keys when Skype is opened.

Click on the red dot or press Windows + ALT + R to start recording your screen. Your recordings will be saved in This PC > Videos > Captures.

EnigmaMachine Posts 2 Registration date Sunday June 25, 2023 Status Member Last seen June 28, 2023
Jun 28, 2023 at 02:24 AM

Hello HelpiOS and thanx for the reply ... :)

We'll try communicating/connecting using two different versions. I will use the older version and the recipient will stay with the latest version. The Microsoft REPS say BOTH absolutely need to use the same version to avoid glitches??

The TAR file and the App to open it, (which I have). What's the goal here? I need to be able to edit the actual MP4 which seems a pain to find it ... A Screen Recorder is instant and there's no treasure hunt.

Is there a need to SAVE anything after the conversation ends in order to preserve the MP4? And may I have your opinion please as to which file offers the best quality? A screen recorder file or the Skype MP4?

Thanks Loads!

HelpiOS Posts 14307 Registration date Friday October 30, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen April 19, 2024 1,890
Jun 29, 2023 at 06:58 AM

Hi,

Skype should continue to work and provide its main functionalities (calls & chat) even if you and your participants have different versions. You can try testing with the Echo / Sound Test Service to see if everything works properly.

Currently, the latest version of Skype is the 8.98 and the version suggested is the 8.96. There's just a difference of two versions, so that shouldn't cause any particular issues. The risk of bugs is when the versions are very older.

To save the screen recording created with Skype, access your chat, select the 3 dots next to it - when you hover your mouse on the video - then click Save as and choose a location. The video will be saved directly in MP4. The TAR file is created when you export your full chat history, which contains all the messages exchanged in your chat.

When a Skype call is going to end, you need to stop the recording before it hangs up. Otherwise, your recording won't be saved.

The MP4 format is an universal format recognized by many devices and software and offers the best quality in video and audio.

Screen recorders also use the MP4 format, but they prefer to use mainly the AVI format, which offers a better quality than MP4. AVI is great because it doesn't compress the video, thus it won't lose the quality, however the file size can be very large (in GB!) for a few minutes of recording only. So for recording Skype calls, MP4 is the most suitable.

ravida_1351 Posts 57 Registration date Thursday March 23, 2023 Status Member Last seen July 2, 2023 3
Jul 2, 2023 at 02:53 AM

Skype has both its benefits and drawbacks. On one side, its reliability for video calls makes it ideal, though unfortunately they have since removed a split-screen feature which was useful if conducting interviews for documentaries or interviews of any sort are required. On the other side, its long history makes Skype well known among consumers making video calls regularly and its widespread availability for calls makes Skype attractive among many businesses that provide them with services like this one.

One potential downside of Skype video recording is the difficulty in accessing MP4 files stored as MPEG-4 videos; conversations stored as TAR file format also pose challenges when accessing files for editing purposes. But Movavi Screen Recorder could offer an effective alternative; familiar to you and providing quick and convenient recording access is likely why that tool has come out ahead.

If you need further ideas or recommendations, considering exploring various video conferencing platforms such as Zoom, Google Meet or Microsoft Teams. Each has their own set of advantages and disadvantages so it would be worthwhile exploring each to determine the one which meets your requirements best.