Can't download without work arounds

Closed
Captain_Question_Mark Posts 2 Registration date Friday July 31, 2009 Status Member Last seen August 1, 2009 - Jul 31, 2009 at 10:24 PM
Captain_Question_Mark Posts 2 Registration date Friday July 31, 2009 Status Member Last seen August 1, 2009 - Aug 1, 2009 at 11:47 AM
I have Windows Vista, for starters. I haven't downloaded any new software or made any recent changes that would alter anything in my system, but as of last week, my computer has started to hate me.

Whenever I try to download anything (torrents, program install files...whatever) it simply gets caught in the Temporary Internet Files folder and goes no further. I click to download something, the progress bar reaches 100%...and then nothing. As a work around, I have to manually go into the folder, drag the file onto my desktop and then launch from there and it'll work.

As a side note, when I first noticed this, my Windows Live Messenger also refused to connect and hasn't ever since. I suspected at first my firewall and anti virus (Windows Firewall and AVG) were to blame, and after disabling both, the problems still didn't go away.

This is frustrating because I don't even know what to search for on the net to figure this out for myself. Any help would be appreciated.
Related:

2 responses

Blocked Profile
Aug 1, 2009 at 03:06 AM
Dear Sir,

open internet explorer,

Click on Tools, Advanced,

Then press on Reset, this will reset the Internet Explorer settings to default,

If you are having trouble with Windows Live Messenger,

Verify your time and date if correct, and also the timezone,

Just go to your Firewall Settings, in Control Panel, add Windows Live Messenger to Exception list

Thanks
Captain_Question_Mark Posts 2 Registration date Friday July 31, 2009 Status Member Last seen August 1, 2009
Aug 1, 2009 at 11:47 AM
I've tried both those things, and no luck. If it helps, when I try to log into Messenger I get an error code: 8007007e.

I also switched my browser to Firefox and that seems to have fixed my temp internet files problem. And even if Firefox is a superior browser, it's frustrating that I would HAVE to switch because my machine arbitrarily decided to stop working.

Any more thoughts anyone?