Inspiron 530 Service Name???

Closed
stupidcompuser - Jul 28, 2008 at 12:33 PM
 DeMus - Dec 8, 2009 at 01:35 PM
Hello,
I recently purchased a Dell Inspiron 530 desktop computer. I had Charter out to install high speed internet service. About 10 mins after the tech left, we were booted offline and were unable to access any sites. Charter returned only to tell us our issue was a Dell issue, not the ISP. Dell said it was an ISP issue, not Dell. The error message I get is "Error Connecting through WAN Miniport (PPPOE)...The broadband network connection could not be established on your computer because the remote server is not responding. This could be caused by an invalid value for the "Service Name" field for this connection.." I found the Service Name field under Broadband Connection Settings and it is blank. Can anyone help me with this? If I unplug the modem and let it sit for a few mins, I am able to reconnect, but I always get booted back off within a couple of minutes with this same message....help!!
Related:

4 responses

Same computer same problem. I reset my modem and I could then connect to internet.
Was surfing the web for some answers on a the very same issue. I just purchased this dell 530 desktop for a family member. When I switched out the old computer it was running fine with the internet. When I plugged the new dell up, well ran through the same error messsage and spoke with the ISP tech over the phone. Going through the steps with them they asked me to unplug and replug the cable in. They must have thought I was an idiot but "it worked". That turned out to be a temporary fix and the internet kept going out especially on reboot. Thought it was the cable but as of late it is not... It is a Hardware issue. Please post if you or anyone gets an answer.
Am currently having the same problem. My error message says no cable plugged in. I can plug the cable in and out about 8 times and finally get a connection. Serviceman out yesterday replacing the motherboard because the card is attached to that. Left me with a bad motherboard and a computer that does not work at all. Waiting now for a second serviceman to install a second motherboard.
I just had the same problem, but i wasnt able to contact the isp so i just tinkered around in the "network and sharing center". In the end i got fustrated and deleted the connections i added myself and was only left with the "local area connection", surprisingly everything was working again and i wasnt being mercilessly prompted to enter a password only to have an incorrect service name. "Local area connection" works cuz it doesnt have or needs service name.
My wife also has an Inspiron 530 and it used to work well with our network until I bought a new router. Then the PC had great difficulties to connect to the network and even more problems connecting to the internet. Many time we only got a connection to the local network. All other computers work well with the router.
I then put in a cheap RTL8139 network card, disabled the on-board chip in the BIOS, and the problems are gone.