Cd/dvd will play movie & music.. not software

Closed
whitneyblaine Posts 2 Registration date Thursday 22 October 2009 Status Member Last seen 23 October 2009 - 23 Oct 2009 à 11:24
whitneyblaine Posts 2 Registration date Thursday 22 October 2009 Status Member Last seen 23 October 2009 - 23 Oct 2009 à 13:43
Hello,

my computer crashed. Got new Hard drive. cd/dvd drive plays movies and music with no problem. However, when I put in a cd to download software,( like for a printer) it will not read the cd, I can not download the software...it tries to, but then it times out and says this program is not responding.

It worked fine before I got the new hard drive...am I missing some drivers? it can't be the optical drive, because I can view and watch movies.

I called Dell ( I have a vostros 200 desktop) they were useless.

Hope someone knows how to figure this out. Thanks
Related:

2 responses

closeup22 Posts 8922 Registration date Friday 15 May 2009 Status Member Last seen 7 October 2010 2,099
23 Oct 2009 à 13:26
hi there,

have you tried using another software cd?

as it may be that the cd you are trying to use is damaged

Thanks
whitneyblaine Posts 2 Registration date Thursday 22 October 2009 Status Member Last seen 23 October 2009
23 Oct 2009 à 13:43
Yes...I've tried about a dozen different ones. If I'm persistant, and try the same cd multiple times...I might get it to read it....but then it won't finish downloading or it freeze up the computer. It's weird, music and movies not problem....but downloading software from a cd is impossible.