V card for XP

Closed
Jesalou Posts 6 Registration date Tuesday August 12, 2008 Status Member Last seen September 15, 2008 - Aug 13, 2008 at 02:17 PM
 jesalou - Aug 13, 2008 at 11:46 PM
Hello,
On: Windows XP home, Version 2002, Sv Pk 2, eMachines T3516 - Intel [R], Caleron[R] D CPU 3.20 GHz, 384 MB RAM. I am getting addicted to Second Life. Can run for a while then crash. [which is said is common even for those with maga machines] Before I attempt to "build" objects I would like to upgrade my video/graphics card and add more memory. Now [came stock] using ATI Radeon 200. Installed new dirver for same, to Radeon-350 to 400. This helped some. What is compatible to my machine, and won't fry the hard drive? How do I know which slot the V card goes in , inside the case ? Obviously I am not that computer knowledgeable. Answer in lay terms, please.
Related:

1 response

nicholasyonko
Aug 13, 2008 at 09:01 PM
It looks to me in analyzing the specs that with the PCI-E slot you have in your system, you can get just about any graphics card you like - just make sure it doesn't need any additional power as some video cards need an additional power plug from the power supply into the Mother Board that boosts the power to the video subsystem. I didnt' see one of those on the T3516, although with a PCI-E x16 it may have what you need as nowadays the only reason for having a PCI-E x16 slot on your Motherboard is to put a huge video card into your system...
NICHOLASYONKO: Thank you very much for taking the time to consider my request. Your advice gives me relief that its not that difficult and confidence to get that new card. I look forward to happy gaming. Sincere Regards.
Jesalou