Home networking problem

Closed
Gus - Aug 14, 2008 at 05:12 AM
 dustytech.studentMCP,NET+ - Aug 14, 2008 at 08:15 PM
Hello,
I have a netcomm nb1300plus4 adsl modem which has 4 computers that can access it for internet use. I want to make only 1 computer use the modem and force the other 3 computers to access the internet through it.This is so i can stop my kids acessing the net on their laptops of a night when they're supposed to be sleeping. Any help appreciated, Gus
Related:

1 response

dustytech.studentMCP,NET+
Aug 14, 2008 at 08:15 PM
sounds like you need to buy a router. A wireless or wired will work. You can access the security settings in the router and dissable the internet access after a cartain time that you set in the security settings. If you use your computer it will have the same time settings which could be a problem, but should ge easy for you to go into the security settings for you to enable the time change for you at that time and then change it back. I'm not an expert of coarse, but it is somthing that I use at my own home since my XP home edition won't let me set high level security settings like XP professional. With that XP Pro. you can create a domain with your computer and attach the children to the account on the same computer or even different computers. Here you can use the XP disc and install Active Directory. Then go to Control panel, Administrative tools, Active Directory Users and Computers icon. Select the users and right click, properties. Can't remember what the tab is called but it will let you set time options that those users can log on to their computer. Awesome XP Professional. I wish I had the money to purchase it. I use it daily at the IT school I am attending. I hope this helped some. Sorry if not, I still have a lot more to learn. If you fix it another way I want to know for future knowledge and my own home setup. Good luck.