Fitted new dvd drive

Closed
Olly - Dec 13, 2009 at 07:37 PM
sharpman Posts 1021 Registration date Saturday May 23, 2009 Status Contributor Last seen October 20, 2010 - Dec 14, 2009 at 03:44 PM
Hello,
My son has fitted a new DVD wroter
samsung Super Writemaster. It does not show the device in device manager and it will not read the disc that came with the DVD drive. Can anyone suggest what I need to do to make my computer recognise this new drive? Any help would be appreciated.
Related:

2 responses

sharpman Posts 1021 Registration date Saturday May 23, 2009 Status Contributor Last seen October 20, 2010 183
Dec 13, 2009 at 07:52 PM
has he set up the jumpers correctly. either as slave or master?

is it visible in the bios?
Not sure if it shows in the BIOS will take a look later today and get back to you. If it is shown in the BIOS how do I make the computer recognise it? Thanks so much for taking the trouble to reply to my message.
Thanks for your help. I have just looked in the BIOS and it does show the new drive but still does not recognise it or read the CDs. I Entered besides each drive and made sure that the hard drive was checked, then I entered Auto on all three drives. Thought this might help but it still does not show the new drive in My Computer. I am quite good at all the ordinary stuff like reformatting a drive etc. but I am not up on anything quite as Technical as this seems to be. It is not the only problem I am having. My husband bought me a new Mircrosoft keyboard and mouse for Christmas and when I tried to get into the BIOS via this new keyboard, the F keys do not work and it would not let me press Delete to get into the BIOS. I had to connect my old USB keyboard to enable me to get into the BIOS. Any help you can give is much appreciated. Thanks again for the help so far.
Olive
sharpman Posts 1021 Registration date Saturday May 23, 2009 Status Contributor Last seen October 20, 2010 183
Dec 14, 2009 at 03:44 PM
ok, is the cd drive sata or ide?

if it is ide, is it connected to the computer on the same cable as another peripheral like a hard drive or another cd drive.

if it is, then you need to check the jumpers on the drive. there should be a diagram on the drive near the rear to show what the jumpers are. they should be marked up as something along the lines ' cs, sl, ms' the ones you are interested in are the MS or The SL pins. look at the other drives pins and see what they are set to.
You need to have one set to MS and one set to SL. you cant have two of the same on the same cable.

MS = master and SL = slave.

Have a read of this page it will explain a little clearer for you

http://www.mysuperpc.com/build/pc_install_cdrom.shtml

Hope it helps.