HP DV5000 Lap Top

Closed
JohnnyMac - Dec 22, 2009 at 10:09 AM
 JohnnyMac - Dec 28, 2009 at 02:42 PM
Hello,

I own a HP DV5000 (DV5163CL) lap top that has given me no problems since I purchased it. However, recently I noticed that when I uplugged it from AC power - that the battery would show 100 %, but would discharge within 30 mins or so. I did not have HP Battery Check install - went to their web site / downloaded it and installed it - when I checked it with the battery - It showed Health BAD (replace) and Storage Capacity low! I ordered and received a new 12 cell (HP22M6) 10.8 Volt / 8800 mAH - Li-Ion battery. Installed it - let it charge to 100% and did the HP Battery Check - shows (Installed Battery # 1 (100%) , Health "Green Check" Good and storage Capacity "Green" and high.

The problem is as soon as I unplug it from AC power it will run anywhere from 5 to 15 mins and shutoff. I have disable the powermanagement settings to "Never" in both AC & DC settings. I am lost as to why this is happening? The battery is brand new - Purchased it from LapTop BatteryStore. I do not suspect the new battery? and I have performed all other tests to rule out AC charger - and also the internal charging on the unit per the HP web Site. It passes those tests. What could be the case.

The power light is on - on the front of the lap top as well as the charge ICON for the battery. The tool/system tray shows at the bottom right the power cord ICON and the Charging ICON working - and when you place the mouse cursor on this ICON - it shows that it's charging/ and/or has completed charging with the percentage of charge.

Any ideas or suggestions? I am completely at a loss - and have tried the many suggestions that I have read and found in the blogs.
Related:

5 responses

lfefil Posts 60 Registration date Monday December 21, 2009 Status Member Last seen December 25, 2009 10
Dec 22, 2009 at 10:26 AM
your batary is over and you need to replace it. have you try to update your bios?
I have not done this as of yet. I will do it right now - and see if this fixes and resolves the issues. The battery is a brand new one from the "Laptop BatteryStore..
UPDATE - I have downloaded and install the latest BIOS F24 from HP - installed and rebooted the system. Unplugged from AC and the lap top ran for appx 20 mins or so - showed the battery level at 100% when I unplugged from AC - and throughout the next 20 mins only showed it be reduced to 96% - than the Lap Top shut itself off! Only way to get it to power up - was to remove and re-install battery - came back up and lasted 5 mins and shut itself off again? If I plug in the AC power the unit will power right up... However - it will not power up with just the battery unless I remove it - and re-install it...
lfefil Posts 60 Registration date Monday December 21, 2009 Status Member Last seen December 25, 2009 10
Dec 23, 2009 at 03:23 AM
i think you have to go for compaq service center. tell them your problem. there is something mistake in your brand then. as you told b4 that when you buy that at that time also you were facing the same problem. so it means your lapi might be faulty.

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Update: Purchased new HP 12Cell Battery from local retailer (Fry's Electronics- Fountain Valley, California). I installed the battery - and waited until it had a full charge. Powered the Lap Top on - and have had no problems from this battery - Apparently the battery that I had purchased from LapTop Battery Store was bad.