What the heck happened?

Closed
Charlie - Sep 5, 2008 at 07:18 PM
 Blocked Profile - Oct 6, 2008 at 11:09 AM
Hello,
I hope someone can help me and explain it so an idiot can follow. I was working on my HP with xp and the amd chip yesterday and I noticed that I had an update to install. It was service pack 3. So I went to install it. It took a long time too. After the install it rebooted and worked fine for an hour or so and then it froze up. I tried to reboot it and now I get nothing. I get the first little screen that says what video card I have and then it goes black. Not even blue. Has anyone had this problem? Can it be fixed? I can't even get into safe mode.

Please help if you can, and remember that I'm an idiot so make it as simple as possible. E-mail me if you can or post it here.

cadams7564@aol.com

Thanks,
Charlie

3 responses

studentguide Posts 16 Registration date Monday August 25, 2008 Status Member Last seen April 28, 2009 2
Sep 6, 2008 at 04:08 AM
hey charlie,

ive noticed that with windows xp sp3 there are many problems arising and first of all tell me have you got many files that you want to back up?

if yes then connect your hard disk onto another pc and form that where you will be able to access all the files and folders loaded on the other computer do a backup.

after the back up is complete i would recommend you to do a full format of your pc and never to install sp3 again. the problem with it is that it is a new version and there are still many bugs.

hope it helps you and that you succeed what ive just told you

the student
Blocked Profile
Oct 6, 2008 at 11:09 AM
there are many problems with SP3. the best bet which you should've done was wait a year or 2 for the microsoft team to debug it. if you can load up in safe mode, via press F8 and choose safe mode with networking.

then go to add/remove programmes and uninstall SP3.
or you could just do a system restore.
Student,
thanks for responding. Yes I have tons of stuff I still want to save and I've been meaning to put on disk for a while and procrastination got the best of me....again. Your advise is most likely what I'm going to do. But there are a couple of things I want to try. Another friend suggested I pull out the battery and let the bios reset and it may boot without tearing it apart. Then I could do my file transfers and do a reformat. But if that doesn't work, your way is probably my best option. Thanks again for your reply.

Charlie