Still having Antivirus XP 2008 problems

Closed
Amber - Sep 9, 2008 at 06:01 AM
 Amber - Sep 9, 2008 at 07:29 PM
Hello,
Through following the instructions on various websites, I was able to remove parts of the virus. I was able to download AVG 8.0 and run a scan, too, which found some things and got rid of them. However, when I try to get to the programs like the Malwarebytes or CCleaner via Google (or anything via Google), I'm constantly redirected to pages that are obviously not related to the link. If I'm lucky enough to get to a page, like downloads.com, if I try to download something, either the next screen that pops up says Internet Explorer cannot open webpage or I get an error box that says the filename.exe is not a valid win 32 application. I've tried downloading things to my computer and renaming the file and it doesn't work. What do I do now?
Related:

5 responses

You have SPYWARE and search hijackers.

1. Download Spybot search and destroy and run it.

( The goal is to have this run, and get a clean report )
( also be sure to IMMUNIZE the system )

2. Download AdAware and run it.

Then finally,
3. Download HiJack this, and run it. See if you can find anything out of the ordinary.

There are other much more powerfull tools, but these get you started

I just worked on a system that had the same problem.
It was a Trojan horse named Virtumondo.
It took over 10 hours to identify, find and remove it.

Best of luck
I appreciate your help. But the problem is that I can't download anything. Everytime I get to the point where I actually have the option to download, I click on the download link and I either get "Internet explorerer cannot open webpage" or I get "whateverthefilenameis.exe is not a valid win 32 application". I have gone to download.com, which is one of the few sites I'm able to actually get to, and I have tried to download spybot, but I get the "not a valid win 32 application". I've tried to go to RegCure, I think is the name, to try to take care of this win 32 problem (I don't know if that would take care of the problem...I don't know what a win 32 application is or how to fix it, I was just trying something). But, when I tried to use the scan, it said, not a win 32 application. Er. Nothing is working. I can't wipe out my computer and reload things because I don't have any of the original programs. Any other ideas?
i had a similar problem. it was a virus called RUNdll....except it was a clone of the oringinal one that is supposed to run at all times and is a mircrosoft program. what i did was i opend up the TASK MANAGER and looked for RunDLL(the original is supposed to take very little memory around 512kb or something) if it takes too much memory then its probably the TROJAN. so i searched it in the system32 folder and erased it. i also opend up the MSCONFIG and searched it to see if it was a STARTUP program....i tracked it down erased it manually(since the antivirus thinks its a legit program) and all problems were solved.......i think that the fake RunDLL is ALL CAPITAL LETTERS. i dont know if this has anything to do with your problem but it might give you an idea.....good luck and be careful with what you erase.
Hi

You need to get access to another computer to download software.

There are various companies who offer free software to try to eliminate computers infected with a virus or malware.

windows-kb890830-v2.2.exe from microsoft for example.

If you cannot, you appear to be able to use email so direct a friend to download the software and instructions if required and email them to you.

Once you start the repair you should be able to get on line and run free scans from either microsoft or trend.

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
I e-mailled the malwarebytes to myself from a different computer. I tried to run it directly from my e-mail and tried to save it to my computer and run it from there. Both times I received an error message saying "Setup was corrupted. Please obtain new copy of program" (not the exact wording but just about). Any other ideas?