Dvd +- whats the meaning?

Closed
ameertozor Posts 14 Registration date Saturday September 13, 2008 Status Member Last seen April 16, 2009 - Sep 14, 2008 at 09:52 AM
 Bounty Hunter - Sep 19, 2008 at 01:38 AM
Hello,
my sister just bought her computer but yesterday i was at her place and noticed one thing on her dvd rom.. it was written dvd+-rw and i spent hours in trying to understand what it really means?
ive never understood the meaning of these acronyms and if anyone could explain me please?
does it mean that the dvd rom can read and write on dual layer discs?
Related:

1 response

Bounty Hunter
Sep 19, 2008 at 01:38 AM
A DVD-RW disc is a rewritable optical disc it's typically 4.7 GB.The primary advantage of DVD-RW over DVD-R is the ability to erase and rewrite to a DVD-RW disc. According to Pioneer, DVD-RW discs may be written to about 1,000 times before needing replacement. DVD-RW discs are commonly used for volatile data, such as backups or collections of files. So that pretty much means...in plain english that the DVD-RW cannot write on top of the data present on the disc but can rewrite over whatever is on it. However it can read it, cerntainly. If you mean dual layer in respect to differing formats on the disc the answer is no. If you mean dual layer in respect to multiple files of the same format the answer is yes.