with a Corsair TX 650W Power Supply w/ 120mm Fan

i was running
an intel pentium 4 2.8 ghz processor
on a gigabyte ga-8ipe1000-G revision 3 board
with 1 gig of kingston ddr pc3200 ram
a Western Digital caviar 120 gig 7200rpm 8MB Cache
and a MSI FX5200-TD128LF GeForce FX 5200, (128 MB) AGP Video Card
with a generic 350W power supply *came with generic atx supercase*

rewind to 2 years ago a tech friend came over and told me my hard drive was dying (made horrible noise during startup and grinding noise during running and was turning itself off whenever it felt like it) so I replaced the western digital with the seagate and ran into a new problem it would start to load windows xp and then shut off. I got fustrated and started using only my cheap laptop, fast forward to now I took it in and had it tested they said my power supply was the problem, so I replaced the generic power supply with a much better one they recommended to me and I am still having the same issue, I have tried running a fresh install reformatting the drive and it gets halfway through the installing devices screen of xp and the system shuts itself off. Ive tried changing the ram, vid card, and hard drive from a working system into mine and it still shuts off halfway through install. Just for kicks I installed windows 98 se and low and behold my system runs fine but the minute i try to install xp it just wont do it. I also went into the bios and disabled all unnecessary components ran it bare bones and it still wont make it past the 34 min mark on the install * i have tried 2 different copies of xp, one xp pro and home and they both fail at the same mark everytime. I cant afford to buy a new system right now and they no longer make motherboards that support my chip unless I want to risk a second hand ebay board which I dont.

anyone have any suggestions as to what might be wrong?

1 response

jmp59 Posts 29296 Registration date Tuesday June 8, 2004 Status Contributor Last seen November 25, 2015 257
Sep 27, 2008 at 04:27 PM
Hello,

Did u try a ClearCMOS ?
yes or at least i think i did i ran hirens boot cd to test my peripherals and also to reset the bios and im pretty sure it did the cmos too