Used Office 2003 w/prod code, how tell good?

Closed
Lamer old guy - Mar 10, 2010 at 06:59 PM
rizvisa1 Posts 4478 Registration date Thursday January 28, 2010 Status Contributor Last seen May 5, 2022 - Mar 12, 2010 at 07:12 AM
Hello,
So, I bought this like new Office 2003 Standard Ed boxed with seal cut. Appears unused. Has product code sticker on back of
cd case, and Authenticity sticker intact on box. Is there a way to call MS Support for free to have them look up the product code to see if it is available for use? I don't want to try to install it if not. I really don't want to use it at all, but instead sell it on Amazon, but I want to accurately describe it as having a useful product code, or return it to the store where I bought it. If I do end up installing it to see if the product code is good, then can I uninstall it to make the product code viable again for sale?

Lamer old guy
Related:

1 response

rizvisa1 Posts 4478 Registration date Thursday January 28, 2010 Status Contributor Last seen May 5, 2022 766
Mar 12, 2010 at 07:12 AM
You can do that. Install the office, activate it and then uninstall it. I am too sure about "re-selling" part, if microsoft allows it or one has to just tell them that one is the original owner. The person who installs next would have to get it activated again. Also if same code is used again and again, it raised red flag.

See this
http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/mpa.aspx

Users can change or upgrade their hardware. One of the forms of piracy that Product Activation guards against is hard disk imaging. Not all forms of hard disk imaging are illegal. In the case where a pirate copies data from one PC hard drive to another to illegally run the software on two PCs, Product Activation stops that by forcing the copied software to be reactivated. It does so by comparing the hardware on which it was activated to the hardware on which it is now being booted. If the hardware is substantially different, then reactivation is required. If it is the same or similar, then the software will continue to work. Those who upgrade their PC's hardware substantially may be asked to reactivate. Reactivation for this reason is easy and can be completed by contacting Microsoft to obtain another confirmation ID.