Graphics Issue

Closed
UTFRAG - Mar 22, 2010 at 07:25 AM
 UTFRAG - Mar 23, 2010 at 04:34 AM
Hi, hope you have time to consider my problem

About 18 months ago i updated my graphics card from a 7900 GT to a 9800GTX, the card worked fine for nearly a year then one day i started up my pc, it powered up but wouldnt initialise.

At first i thought the issue was the processor, so ordered a new one, and this didnt solve the problem. I still had my old 7900GT floating around so i tried that instead of the 9800 and it worked. As the 9800gtx was still in warantee i sent it back, got a replacement and that wont work, thought they send me a dud, so again got it replaced and it still wont work.

Thinking it may be a power issue, and as the 9800gtx uses 2 x 6 pins to work, I have also tried a Radeon 4870 which uses one 6 pin, the same as my 7900GT, and also an nvidea 8600GT which requires no seperate power and neither card will work.

I have tried resetting the CMOS and that didnt help at all either. Ive asked a few tech people about the issue and none of them can work out whats wrong.

Hope you have an idea whats going on cos i am at a loss.

My system is an old one, it s using an Abit Fatality 32x SLI board, 2gb ddr2, and a 5000+ x2 athlon. I also have a OCZ 850w silent power supply, which was added when i wanted the new card, to make sure i had plenty of power. I apprecaite its an old system, but it is still did everything i needed it to do with the 9800GTX fitted, but my old 7900GT is had its day, is going wonky all the time, and if i cant resolve the graphics issue then this system is going to find itself heading to the PC graveyard.

Regards.

1 response

Bump, anyone got any ideas.