Computer problems

Closed
hillary - Mar 28, 2010 at 12:25 AM
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 - Mar 29, 2010 at 07:41 AM
My computer has this fake virus scanner and it was downloading on its own so I turned off my computer. Then I turned it on again and it popped out this antivirus scanner and I could tell it was fake it was trying to get me to buy their product. My computer now just shows nothing but the wall paper. When I try Ctrl +alt+delete it says "task manager has been disabled by your administrator". How do I take out the virus and have my icons and everything back to normal? I have the McAfee antivirus software.

2 responses

closeup22 Posts 8923 Registration date Friday May 15, 2009 Status Member Last seen October 7, 2010 2,099
Mar 28, 2010 at 12:31 AM
Hi there,

Your situation seems complicated,ill advise you to format the system and install appropriate anti virus software.

Thanks
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,169
Mar 29, 2010 at 07:41 AM
Hello Hillary,

Unfortunately, you are another victim of a rogue virus which is a scam trying to get to your wallet.

It must be removed before it damages your system.

I assume here that your OS is Windows XP and that virus in question is Virus Protection (Depending on the rogue, the remedy is different, but since your can only see your wallpaper, I believe it is Virus Protection or Virus Protector)

Please follow the instructions hereunder:

reboot your computer in the Safe mode with command prompt.

Once Windows loaded, command prompt (black window) opens. Type notepad and press Enter.

A notepad window opens. Type the following text into notepad:

[Version]
Signature="$Chicago$"
Provider=Myantispyware.com

[DefaultInstall]
AddReg=regsec

[regsec]
HKCU, Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System,DisableRegistryTools,0x00000020,0
HKLM, Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon,Shell,0x00000020,"Explorer.exe"

Save this as fix.inf to your Desktop (remember to select Save as file type: All files in Notepad). Close Notepad.

In the command prompt type Explorer.exe and Press Enter. Windows Explorer opens. Locate the fix.inf, click right button and select Install. Close Windows Explorer.

In the command prompt type shutdown -r and press Enter. Your computer will be rebooted.

Download MalwareBytes Anti-malware (MBAM). Once downloaded, close all programs and windows on your computer.

https://ccm.net/downloads/security-and-maintenance/4621-malwarebytes-anti-malware/

Double-click on the icon on your desktop named mbam-setup.exe. This will start the installation of MalwareBytes Anti-malware onto your computer. When the installation begins, keep following the prompts in order to continue with the installation process. Do not make any changes to default settings and when the program has finished installing, make sure a checkmark is placed next to "Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware" and Launch "Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware". Then click Finish.

Insure to update Malwarebyte

Please return to me for further instructions.

Good luck