Total xp security alert virus

Closed
Jim - Apr 12, 2010 at 03:48 AM
 Donut - Apr 24, 2010 at 04:33 PM
Ok so i've got a huge problem. I've downloaded this fake trojan virus known as the "total XP Security Alert", that keeps spamming those security pop ups everytime i click internet explorer. Ive searched for a good 5 hours straight now on how to fix it and have found no luck. This virus has shut off ways to enter registry stating "registry has been turned off by the group policy" or something similar. Ive tried booting in safe mode as administrator and still its locked. ive tried running gpedit.msc but that file doesnt exist on my windows xp sp2. Ive also tried deleting the ave.exe in windows explorer but it just re creates itself again. System restore has also been disabled by group policy and i cant find a way to enable that either. I can't run internet explorer, registry or system restore. Im pulling my hair out trying to figure this one out. If anyone has any information at all that can help me beat this one, it would be very appreciated!!

Related:

4 responses

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,168
Apr 12, 2010 at 05:51 AM
HI Jim,
Can you boot into safe mode with networking? If your answer is yes, we have a solution.
Ok so i cant boot into safemode with networking, and its renamed my internet explorer now so i cant access that in either normal or safe mode. I booted back into normal mode to see if anything has changed, and nothing can be accomplished through there. Now im trying to figure out how to boot to safe mode again because msconfig.exe has been renamed so i cant access the boot.ini tab to safeboot. I thinking this is becoming a lost cause.
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,168
Apr 12, 2010 at 05:35 PM
Wow, what kind of beast is this? Msconfig renamed! This is a monster! Can't they find anything else to do in life that is positive instead of making life miserable for others!

Jim, can you find a way to download Combofix from another machine, save it to a flashdrive and run it from there?

http://www.combofix.org/download.php
I had the same problem with the total xp security virus and the problem seem to have solved by window defender as my F-secure antivirus software failed to detect the virus but window defender did