Installed Operating System -Everything Erased

Closed
Ali - Apr 13, 2010 at 12:35 PM
 Rob - Apr 13, 2010 at 12:42 PM
While pretending to be a member of the geek squad last night, I re-installed the operating system on my Gateway laptop. I thought this would restore the computer to its original settings and hopefully fix the disc drive that wasn't reading discs. Unfortunately, as you probably know, i lost everything on my computer doing this. Please tell me there is way to reverse my stupidity! I cant even access the internet on the laptop as my wireless driver isn't even working now. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Related:

1 response

Even after a format, old data is readable on a hard-drive by someone who has the right tools and knows what they are doing. However getting that data is not something that is easy to do even for a IT pro. The technique involves booting from an external OS (CD or otherwise) and running a program that will look at the magnetic signature of deleted files on the OS, then restore them to an external drive. This is typically too advanced for Geek squad (But you may get lucky) I would look for IT pros or restore companies in your area. Expect several hours of support to get this done.

As far as the drivers go, you should be able to plug into your router using a network cable to get to gateway.com, click support, look up your computer and download the drivers and run them on your computer. If you can't do that on your computer, use someone elses and copy them to an external drive or CD to get them onto your computer and then run them on your computer.

Hope this helps!