Need help installing driver for Dell Inspiron

Closed
lilpiston - Oct 22, 2008 at 07:24 PM
 Thankful2u - Oct 26, 2009 at 03:10 PM
Hello,

I have a Dell Inspiron B130. All of a sudden the CD Rom driver has disappeared from my computer, thus the CD rom won't read discs (it just spin and stops). How can I reinstall the driver?

Appreciate the help.
Related:

11 responses

Okay. I am at the step as listed where I am here {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} but I have nothing labeled upper filters or lower filters and thus I am still having the problem. Please help!
DONT DO IT!!! I just did this by following EXACTLY what the Microsoft website said & lost my keyboard & mouse. Now what am I suppost to do? It would not restart in safe mode & being the disk drive dosen't work I can't reinstall anything. And no I didn't backup the registry. I am (WAS) running XP in my Dell Inspiron 5150.....HELP!
Were you able to get your CD/DVD playere to work?? I am having the same problem. I ran a diagnostics, but it says everything is working properly. Although I am able to play movies. I am not able to load games and write to a CD/DVD. Please let me know of any help you may have to offer.
I have the same problem and same test results,geek guy told me to buy a new one for 50.00 and they would charge me 100.00 to put the new one in,69.00 just to tell me it is not working,lol.If you find the solution,please let me know.
i m have the same problem as u and i wondre if you got yours fixed ?
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Oct 23, 2008 at 12:57 AM
I don't think your PC has a "CD driver". It uses the standard IDE driver that the hard disk uses. But, you might be able to reinstall the CD drive.

go to START - CONTROL PANEL - SYSTEM - then select HARDWARE - click on Device Manager
click on the + next to DVD/CD drives you should see your CD drive

It might have a yellow Question mark next to it - right click the CD drive and select "delete" to remove it
Then close device manager and return to the CONTROL PANEL - select ADD HARDWARE and then click NEXT
Windows should then find and reinstall your CD drive.

If this doesn't work then I would think you have a defective CD drive or damage to the laptop motherboard preventing the use of the CD.
OK, When I go to Device Manager if I click the + next to Disk drives the only drop down is "Hitachi HTS541040G9At00" and if a click the + next to IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers I get "Intel (R) 8280 1FB/FBM Ultra ATA Storage Controller" and "Primary IDE Channel" and it says that all of these devices are working the only place where these is the yellow question mark is next to "other Devices" and there is a question mark next to "Modem Device on High Definition Audio Bus", "Video Controller" and "Video Controller (VGA Compatable)" - I tried reinstalling these and it wouldn't let me. Any advice?

Thanks so much for your help.
hello.my laptop inspiron1720 base system driver not organized.help me thanks
thank you sooo much! i thought my driver had been faulty since i bought it back on 2006, it was just the cse in was disabled!! thanks again helped alot! :)

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
May 3, 2009 at 11:53 AM
Many third-party programs that control CD or DVD burning (as well as some player applications) install CD- or DVD-ROM filter device drivers into Windows. These filter drivers are meant to allow for low-level hooks into the hardware, to allow for functions such as packet writing (where a CD-R/W or DVD-/+RW can be written incrementally, like a hard disk).

How CD/DVD issues can occur

These filter drivers sometimes have problems that can cause the CD or DVD drive to stop working correctly. The device entry for the CD or DVD drive in the Device Manager may show up with an error descriptor that reads "The device could not start." Additionally, there may be an error message that reads "One of the filter drivers for this device is invalid." The devices themselves do not show up in Explorer. Error codes for the device include code 31, code 32, code 19 or code 39, and sometimes the even more ominous warning "Your registry might be corrupted" appears.

Fixing the CD/DVD problem simply involves deleting the filter entries for the third-party device drivers. These entries can sometimes become damaged (which is what produces the "corrupt registry" warning).

How to fix CD/DVD issues

To delete the offending keys, open the Windows Registry and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}. . Delete the keys named UpperFilters and LowerFilters and reboot.

Step 1: Start Registry Editor
Start Registry Editor.
Step 2: Delete the UpperFilters registry entry

1. In Registry Editor, expand My Computer, and then expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
2. Expand SYSTEM, and then expand CurrentControlSet.
3. Expand Control, and then expand Class.
4. Under Class, click {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.
5. In the details pane of Registry Editor, on the right side, click UpperFilters.

Note You may also see an UpperFilters.bak registry entry. You do not have to remove that entry. Click UpperFilters only.
* If you see the UpperFilters registry entry in the details pane of Registry Editor, go to step 6.
* If you do not see the UpperFilters registry entry, you still might have to remove the
LowerFilters registry entry. To do this, go to "Step 3: Delete the LowerFilters registry entry."
6. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
7. Click Yes when you receive the following message:
Are you sure you want to delete this value?

The UpperFilters registry entry is removed.
Step 3: Delete the LowerFilters registry entry

1. In the details pane of Registry Editor, on the right side, click LowerFilters.

Note You might see a LowerFilters.bak registry entry. You do not have to remove that entry. Click LowerFilters only.

If you do not see the LowerFilters registry entry, unfortunately this content is unable to help you any more. Go to the "Next Steps" section for information about how you can find more solutions or more help on the Microsoft Web site.
2. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
3. Click Yes when you receive the following message:
The LowerFilters registry entry is removed.
4. Exit Registry Editor.

Step 4: Restart your computer
Restart your computer. After you have done this, try to access the CD or DVD drive. If you can access the CD or DVD drive, and if you do not receive an error message, the problem is resolved. You can reinstall your CD or DVD writing or recording software.

Several of the products made by Roxio are infamous for causing this problem, although in fairness to the company the most recent versions of their Roxio CD/DVD writing software (6.2 and higher) do not have these problems. Users of 5.0 or 6.0 editions of the Easy CD & DVD Creator product, which has been bundled with many new PCs in the past, should upgrade to 6.2 or better. Other programs can also cause this problem, with the same solution.

Note that after you do this, you may lose functionality in the program that uses the filter drivers, which may need to be reinstalled.
Thanks to James for coming up with the solution to the missing DVD/CD drive. This works as long as you aren't skiddish about deleting registry files. I just want to add that this registry key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
will have many entries listed in your registry. Be sure to open each of these in order to delete all the upper and lower filters. Dell needs to address this issue with their Inspiron, it seems to be a common dilema for a lot of Inspiron users.
happyd Posts 2 Registration date Saturday May 2, 2009 Status Member Last seen May 3, 2009
May 3, 2009 at 09:49 AM
Thanks for the tips, but I'm confused about what to delete? What are the Upper and Lower Filters and how do I find them?

Thank you!
BE CAREFUL DOING THIS!!! I was having a problem with the error 39 msg on my Dell desktop, the DVD RW just stopped working one day, so I began looking for a way to fix it.

After reading several forums, that advocated deleting either the lower and upper, or some said just the upper HKEY registry keys, now neither my mouse or keyboard work at all!!!

I have tried everything, booting into safe mode, using last known configuration, Dell Driver CD, nothing works at all.

I suppose my only solution left is to buy a new tower, and copy the old files into it ...this really sux.
There is a registry error that occurs sometimes with the CD drive in the B130, i had this problem before and solved it by deleting the entry in the registry, however i do not remember what the entry was or where i found it (i am having the problem again) but the problem can be fixed and it is easy, so don't go out and buy a new cd drive, just search the internet a bit more
Found it!

"I HAVE THE SOLUTION.

This happened to me and i called a dell support guy and he fixed it!!!

This is what you do...

Start the Run Command Prompt

Type in "regedit" without the parrenthesis then click ok

Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

Then SYSTEM

Then CURRENT CONTROL SET

Then CONTROL

Then CLASS

Then find {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

The whole thing looks like this:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Then delete the upper and lower filters....

RESTART YOUR COMPUTER THEN THERE YA GO!!!! HOPE THIS HELPS "
hey james what are the upper and lower filters?
chris > james
Mar 1, 2009 at 10:08 AM
James....I have been trying to fix my dvd/cd drive for some time....and came across this post and followed your directions....and it worked!! Thank you so much
my brand new dell laptop cannot find my internet for some reason. what drivers are needed for the laptop to recognize the internet? i go into problem reports and solutions and it shows 9 different drivers that i need to install does any1 know how to get these drivers without having internet?

Any help would be appreciated
Drama > james
Mar 22, 2009 at 03:37 PM
WOW! It really worked! As I've been seeking the answer to this frustrating problem I have realized that MANY people having DEll computers have lost their cdrw/dvd drivers! You're the man!
dear sir
i purchased a pc dell optiplex gx260 would u help me to find its driver those are built in like sound,graphics and modem is pctel pct789t-c1
please help me
i have just been bought spore the game , its dvd rm and my drive won't recognise it. I get the mesage that its a invalid win32 application which means my dvd rm drive doesn't work. So how do I fix it?

reinstall? my dad won't.

so what are the upper and lower filters and how do i find them so i can fix my pc.

many thanks

i really need help please
Aug 27, 2009 at 04:32 PM
Go at this link for more information. I don't think you should mess with the upper and lower filters. You might have a bad DVD. Check it onl another computer.

https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000726.htm

Good Luck
Hi Kat,
Here is your resolution in order to remove upper and lower filters if cd/dvd is detecting under my computer window.
Got start--> run--> type regedit and press enter
1. In Registry Editor, expand My Computer, and then expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
2. Expand SYSTEM, and then expand CurrentControlSet.
3. Expand Control, and then expand Class.
4. Under Class, click {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.
5. In the details pane of Registry Editor, on the right side, click UpperFilters and Lower filters.
Note You may also see an UpperFilters.bak registry entry. You do not have to remove that entry. Click UpperFilters only.
* If you see the UpperFilters registry entry in the details pane of Registry Editor, go to step 6.
* If you do not see the UpperFilters registry entry, you still might have to remove the
LowerFilters registry entry. To do this, go to "Step 3: Delete the LowerFilters registry entry."
6. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
7. Click Yes when you receive the following message:

The UpperFilters registry entry is removed.
Step 3: Delete the LowerFilters registry entry

1. In the details pane of Registry Editor, on the right side, click LowerFilters.

Note You might see a LowerFilters.bak registry entry. You do not have to remove that entry. Click LowerFilters only.

If you do not see the LowerFilters registry entry, unfortunately this content is unable to help you any more. Go to the "Next Steps" section for information about how you can find more solutions or more help on the Microsoft Web site.
2. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
3. Click Yes when you receive the following message:
The LowerFilters registry entry is removed.
4. Exit Registry Editor.

Step 4: Restart your computer