Defrag stops at 16 percent

Closed
Neo - Oct 25, 2008 at 07:01 PM
sealion Posts 1 Registration date Tuesday July 7, 2009 Status Member Last seen July 8, 2009 - Jul 8, 2009 at 05:37 AM
Hello,
My drive is fragmented , and when I run defragmenter it stops at about 16 percent. I am running Win XP . I have about 20 percent of free space.
Thanks

5 responses

sealion Posts 1 Registration date Tuesday July 7, 2009 Status Member Last seen July 8, 2009 1
Jul 8, 2009 at 05:37 AM
If defrag does not complete, it's usually due to (a) insufficient free space and/or (b) fragmented system files.
Having x% free is not sufficient..the space must be sufficiently large *as well* as contiguous, to accomodate the defragmented files. The Windows default defragger as well as most others cannot defrag properly when this happens. As for system files, most defraggers cannot defrag those, whether in safe mode or not.

I suggest you do a disk cleanup to clear up some space, then head over to the Diskeeper website and grab a copy of the free trial version of Diskeeper 2009 Pro (I use the full paid version of 2009 Pro) which is the same as the full version, but with a time limitation of 30 days. Install and leave it in automatic defrag mode...it will defrag in the background. You can also run a boot-time defrag if required, to defragment the MFT and paging file. Diskeeper 2k9 is an excellent defragger, and defrags in very low space conditions as well as all the system files...just leave it in auto mode.

Hope this helps.
rubrami281 Posts 164 Registration date Tuesday September 30, 2008 Status Member Last seen February 3, 2009 104
Oct 25, 2008 at 07:06 PM
Go to link below and download "defraggler"

http://www.ccleaner.com/go/defraggler.com

This program, unlike the one that came with your PC, does a marvalous job of compressing files.......enjoy!!!!!!
Frostythesnowman
Jul 6, 2009 at 03:30 AM
hi I use defraggler (most up to date version), but for some reason its not defragmenting properly

the problem seems to have started when I bought a new computer a week ago, which uses Windows Vista Home Premium, SP2, I never, ever had this problem with XP

says that some files cannot be defragmented, stopping at 37% fragmentation, and I have more than 60% free space, hdd used 100 of a 287 GB partition, with 40 - 50GB of files still fragmented

a few sites said run chkdsk before attempting another defrag, that didnt work

tried defragging with NO programs running other than the defragger, that didnt work either
and there no viruses, spyware, or anything like that on the computer

CPU: dual Core Intel Pentium e2220 2.4 GHtz
HDD: total 298GB with a 11GB recovery partition
RAM: 2GB

system built by HP, so it uses HP Total Care advisor,
recovery disk set has been created

My other problem is, I lose all my programs and stuff if I switch to XP, these programs are so valuable and I dont want to go downloading them from torrent sites

somehow I dont think the current drivers I have are compatable with XP, they are easily enough backed up

someone help plz, the undefragmentable amount of files is getting steadily worse and my system is slowing down rapidly, my only solution sofar is to switch to XP but can I reinstall my apps from the recovery disks in any way? without reinstalling Vista? and can I fix my current problem? (if not I will have no choice but to go back to XP

thanks guys
Dude I posted the first question here, and defraggler seemed to work then it started having the same issues,
then I noticed my disc space kinda shrinkind I tried everything , Thisproblem was on my lap top so I tranported my important files and I thing a complete restore is in order I have to many Dup files and reg problems. Most seem to come from limewire
FrostytehSnowman > Neo
Jul 7, 2009 at 03:45 AM
first. I dont have limewire

and second, a restore will only put me back into the same problem I had within a few days so I have no choice but to switch back to XP, like I said, I never had this problem with XP so....
FrostytehSnowman
Jul 7, 2009 at 03:48 AM
nvm, someone plz delete my post /\ /\

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Excelguru Posts 261 Registration date Saturday April 11, 2009 Status Member Last seen June 21, 2011 307
Jul 7, 2009 at 04:47 AM
DO a scandisk and then do the defragment in safe mode