Registration date
Thursday January 28, 2010
Status
Contributor
Last seen
August 2, 2020
-
Hi,

I have a workbook with 2 worksheets. Column A of worksheet 1 contains text data such as "Paracetamol/Codeine 500/30" in a cell. In worksheet 2, Column A might contain text such as "Paracetamol Codeine" in a cell. I want it to partially match that piece of text with the closest piece of text from Column A in worksheet 2 & also lookup a sequence no. that sits in a column to the right in worksheet 1. When a partial match is found & referenced with the sequence no. then the sequence no. should be shown in a column to the right in worksheet 2. Is that possible? There must be exact matches with the sequence no.

Many thanks in advance.

Jez

1 reply

Registration date
Thursday January 28, 2010
Status
Contributor
Last seen
August 2, 2020
You have to define what is "closest match" to you. As far as I know, in excel there is no inbuilt fuzzy search or "sound like". Take ing your example, would you consider this a match "Caracetamol Podeine". So a lot depends on what is your definition of match or close to match. Also it would help if you post a sample book with some data on a share site like https://authentification.site and post back the link. In the sample, you can show what you want to do.

Subscribe To Our Newsletter!

The Best of CCM in Your Inbox

Subscribe To Our Newsletter!