Partial match of cells in excel

Closed
Jez350 - Apr 25, 2010 at 08:00 AM
rizvisa1 Posts 4478 Registration date Thursday January 28, 2010 Status Contributor Last seen May 5, 2022 - Apr 25, 2010 at 08:52 PM
Hi,

I have a workbook with 2 worksheets. Column A of worksheet 1 contains text data such as "Paracetamol/Codeine 500/30" in a cell. In worksheet 2, Column A might contain text such as "Paracetamol Codeine" in a cell. I want it to partially match that piece of text with the closest piece of text from Column A in worksheet 2 & also lookup a sequence no. that sits in a column to the right in worksheet 1. When a partial match is found & referenced with the sequence no. then the sequence no. should be shown in a column to the right in worksheet 2. Is that possible? There must be exact matches with the sequence no.

Many thanks in advance.

Jez

Related:

1 response

rizvisa1 Posts 4478 Registration date Thursday January 28, 2010 Status Contributor Last seen May 5, 2022 766
Apr 25, 2010 at 08:52 PM
You have to define what is "closest match" to you. As far as I know, in excel there is no inbuilt fuzzy search or "sound like". Take ing your example, would you consider this a match "Caracetamol Podeine". So a lot depends on what is your definition of match or close to match. Also it would help if you post a sample book with some data on a share site like https://authentification.site and post back the link. In the sample, you can show what you want to do.