When you want to clean up data in your Excel sheets, you should first check if there are any duplicates and if so, delete them. Sometimes it's not obvious, but it's actually quite easy to do. In this article, you will find two ways to delete duplicate data from your Excel sheet.
How to find duplicate data in Excel?
If you want to check for any duplicate data in your Excel file before deleting it, follow this procedure:
Select and highlight all the data you want to search for duplicates (don’t include headers), then select the Home tab and in the Styles section choose Conditional Formatting > Highlight Cells Rules > Duplicate Values.
In the new pop-up window select duplicate values in the selected range and choose the colour you’d like to use to highlight the duplicates. Click OK. Now cells that have the duplicates will be highlighted with a colour you have chosen.
How to delete duplicates in Excel?
To remove duplicates in Excel sheets follow these simple steps: Select the rows from which you’d like to remove duplicate data, go to Data tab and select Remove Duplicates.
In the dialog box choose the columns from which you wish to delete duplicates and click on Remove Duplicates.
How to delete duplicate data with filters?
The second way to delete duplicates is to use a filter for unique values. To do so, select any cell or specific data to be filtered. Next, go to Data and in the Sort & Filter section select Advanced.
In the new dialog box choose Unique records only. If you’d like to apply changes in this document, select Filter the list, in-place, otherwise, you can copy and save it to another location by selecting the second option. Click OK and the duplicates will be removed instantly.
How to select empty rows in Excel?
- If your Excel table contains empty rows/cells, here's a simple tip to select them:
- First select the concerned cells and press the F5 key.
- Click on the Special button.
- In the Go to Special dialog, select Blanks.
- Click on the OK button an all the empty rows/cells will be selected.
- From there you can delete or edit them.
- How to delete duplicates in excel
- Data de-duplicate
- How to delete duplicate data in excel
- Copy data from one excel sheet to another: automatically > Guide
- How to perform a partial cell match in Excel? > Guide
- How to clear formatting in Excel > Guide
- Stop iTunes duplicating songs: after sync > Guide
- How to change author name in Excel: spreadsheet, VBA > Guide
- Change date format in Excel: to dd/mm/yyyy, mm/dd/yyyy
- Fix arrows keys in Excel: Scroll lock, alternative method
- How to take screenshot in Excel: shortcut, sheet, cell
- How to apply a function to multiple sheets on Excel
- Convert numbers to words in Excel: without VBA, formula
- How many IF statements can you nest in Excel
- How to use Excel color cell if formula
- How to display multiple columns in a validation list
- How to use an IF statement to add 1 to total
- How to run macro when data entered in a cell
- Check if a value exists in an array VBA
- Search and find using VBA in Excel
- VBA select case like: operator, string, statement
- What is the VBA code to select last sheet in workbook
- VBA Excel color codes: index number, list
- How to insert file path in excel: cell, sheet
- How to disable auto recover in Excel
- How to enable VBA in Excel: Mac, Office 365
- How combine IF function, SEARCH and ISERROR in Excel
- How to enter multiple lines in a single Excel cell
- How to insert GIF in Excel: 365, sheet, VBA
- How to count names in Excel: formula, using COUNTIF
- Open and convert an Excel file in Notepad
- Repeat rows in Excel: based on cell value, VBA
- How to automatically transfer data between sheets in Excel
- How to manipulate data in Excel: VBA
- How to copy a Macro into a blank cell
- Insert a hyperlink in Excel: with text, to another tab
- Recover Excel file: previous version
- Run macro on opening: worksheet, workbook
- How to transfer data from one Excel sheet to another?
- Most useful Excel formulas: for data analysis
- Recalculate Excel Workbook Before Saving
- How to apply if function in Excel: with dates, with text
- Select the default number of processors in Excel
- Insert picture in Excel: cell, shortcut, using formula
- How to add sheet to workbook: VBA, Excel
- Unlock password protected Excel file: Macro
- Excel functions in French
- How to create a cascading combo box: Excel, VBA
- How to create calculator in Excel VBA
- Excel export data: from one sheet to another
- How to add a number of days to a date in Excel
- How to fill multiple Excel sheets from master sheet
- How to copy data to another workbook: using VBA
- Transfer Excel data from one sheet to another: VBA
- Excel VBA add command button programatically
- How to change a column to numeric in Excel?
- Mark sheet grade formula in Excel: template
- How to connect VB 6.0 with MS Access
- How to remove leading apostrophe in Excel
- How to create UserForm: in Excel, VBA
- Select empty cell in Excel: VBA
- Excel send value to another cell
- Using VBA to find last non empty row: in column, in table
- How to show or hide formula bar in Excel: VBA, shortcut
- How to change enter key function in Excel
- How to use Excel auto numbering formula
- Conditional formatting with dates: in Excel
- How to calculate VAT in Excel: formula
- Transfer a worksheet to another Excel workbook: without VBA
- Send email with attachment Excel: VBA, macros
- How to Insert a Transparent Image into an Excel Document
- Compare two Excel sheets: and combine data
- Copy data from one Excel workbook to another
- Auto generate serial number in Excel: VBA, formula
- How to generate email notifications for Excel updates
- How to create a drop-down List in Excel
- Split a workbook into individual files in Excel
- How to insert blank rows using macros in Excel
- Run Macros in Excel: online, shortcuts, VBA
- Insert an image into an Excel comment box
- Credit summation formula
- Create new sheet based on cell value: Excel, macro
- How to insert multiple rows in Excel with a macro?
- How to change Excel date format
- How to create a timer in Excel VBA
- How to use conditional formatting in Excel
- How to count occurrences of characters and numbers in Excel
- How to split text in columns in Excel
- Shortcuts to insert in Excel
- How to copy data to multiple worksheets in Excel
- Excel IF, AND, OR, and NOT functions
- Create a new workbook and copy data in Excel via a Macro
- Update dates in Excel spreadsheet: each year, formula
- How to change row color in Excel VBA based on value