Madashell

Closed
madashell - May 14, 2010 at 09:25 AM
rizvisa1 Posts 4478 Registration date Thursday January 28, 2010 Status Contributor Last seen May 5, 2022 - May 15, 2010 at 09:27 AM
Hello,

I am at my wits end. I have given up on anything to do with microsoft office 2007.

A few days ago I started getting an error msg (preparing to install) popping up. I checked my auto downloads and no office 2007 updates would install. I said to myself, self reinstall microsoft office and this machine and leave the other 2 alone as they are working fine. I used control panels to uninstall microsoft office 2007. Then I tried to reinstall the software. NO GO. The install looked for an early install and would go no further. OK, I still had microsoft 97 installed so I thought OK, I'll uninstall that using control panels, NO GO, NO VA. it want me to insert my original disk which was long ago discarded.
Now I'm stuck with old software I can't uninstall, and newer software which I can't install.

time to look for a different supplier.

1 response

rizvisa1 Posts 4478 Registration date Thursday January 28, 2010 Status Contributor Last seen May 5, 2022 766
May 14, 2010 at 05:40 PM
May is suggest OpenOffice ?. At least this will get up and running while you struggle with the installation. It is supposed to equivalent to office 2003.

Have you tried to download from MS site. May be that will help ?

Also what error you get when you try to install Off2007 ?
Hi Rizvisa1,

I tried download from MS with no luck. On the install of either the download or from CD it says it cannot find previous software. I think (thats dangerous) that its part of MS security procedures to ensure that their software licenses are not bypassed. I had already installed the software on two other PCs and I think the install was checking to see if the software already existed on the PC which had already been uninstalled.

I thought about OpenOffice and DOCS but took a pass. I opt'd to download the BETA test for Office 2010 and this seems to be working fine. At least I have 60 days to figure out what I want to do. Depending on the cost of 2010 I may just buy it and put an end to my misery. Alternately, I'm thinking of going OFF NET and put all this nonsense behind me.

Thanks for your time and suggestions.
rizvisa1 Posts 4478 Registration date Thursday January 28, 2010 Status Contributor Last seen May 5, 2022 766
May 15, 2010 at 09:27 AM
Why not borrow Office 97 from CD from some one. I am sure there are other people like me who still have their copy of office 97 ( hate to throw out any thing man). Since you have 2010, why not uninstall this 2010 and see if that help. But you might be totally screwed if 2010 does the same thing asking where is the previous version of software.