Wont read recovery disc - Gateway

Closed
Holly - Nov 11, 2008 at 12:00 PM
 babu - Jan 11, 2009 at 06:06 PM
Hello,

I have a similar problem. My brother tried to use a Dell recovery disc in my Gateway laptop, and now using the Gateway recovery disc wont work. All I get is the black screen that says "Sorry for the inconvenievce..." and gives me options for restarting in safe mode, last known good configuration, etc. I have selected boot from the CD rom by pressing F10 during the restart, AND I have also reset my BIOS to automatically boot from the CD, but it will not read.

I also get a flash of the Blue screen of death during restart!

The only way that Windows is able to run is in safe mode. When I do this, I have also tried to manually get the disc to run both by using the RUN function, and by opening the drive in my computer, in Safe Mode. I then only get a list of folders and files that are on the disc, but I cant open them or play the disc.

I have also tried safemode with command and tried to enter run there, but it just wont. I have no idea what else to do PLEASE HELP!!!!

Holly
Related:

2 responses

Hope this is not late. Your recovery CD is not bootable type probably. This is not a concern. Why bother to have the CD in when you boot? You don't need to.
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,827
Nov 11, 2008 at 01:02 PM
Take it to a repair shop and have them re-install Windows (using your COA key). The recovery disks make use of a hidden hard drive partition which holds the REAL Windows install programs. The Dell recovery attempt may have damaged or deleted files that the Gateway recovery uses.