One of the most common issues experienced with the PlayStation 3 is a system error due to the console's inability to read games or discs. This tutorial will teach you how to fix your PS3 if it won't read discs.
How to fix your PS3 disc reader?
Clean Your Disc
It may seem obvious, but one of the most common reasons for a console's inability to read a disc is disc damage.
- Check both sides of your disc to make sure that it is not scratched or damaged, and then clean your disc carefully using a microfibre cloth.
- Once that is done, reinsert your disc into the console and attempt to launch it again.
Another common problem with disc recognition is having your console set to an alternate region. Different disc formats may not be recognized by your PS3.
- Launch your PlayStation 3, and head to Settings > System Settings > Default Settings.
- Verify that your region is correctly set and that it is compatible with the disc that you're trying to play.
Troubleshoot your PS3
If the above methods don't work, you can also try troubleshooting your device:
- Remove any disk from the drive, and put the device in standby mode. A red LED light will indicate the state of your device.
- Next, press and hold the On/Off button until you hear two beeps, followed by a double-beep.
- If you do not hear a double-beep, repeat the process. If done correctly, your device should launch to a menu. Choose the third option, and follow the procedure to reset your device.
PS3 doesn't read discs after update: how to fix it?
If you are sure that your discs aren't damaged and the problem occurred after an update, then we recommend trying the following:
- Hold down the power button until the PS3 turns on and then off again.
- Next, press with your finger so you hear 2 consecutive beeps. Take off your finger.
- Plugin your controller (with the USB cable) and press the PS button.
- When the Recovery menu opens.
- Select System update.
- Apply the to the firmware.
- If there is nothing to apply, download it from the official PlayStation website. Upload it on a USB, plug it into your PS3, and then go through the described process again.
How to fix PS3 not reading discs?
If you are encountering this problem, then you can try some of the following solutions:
- When you insert the disc, pick up the front of the PS3 and tilt it backward.
- Clean the inside of your PS3 - with time, it can get very dusty.
- Rebuilding Database in safe mode can also in some cases help tom solve this problem. 1. Turn off your PS3, then press and hold for some seconds the Power button. You will hear a 3 beeps, with intervals of 5 seconds. Now you can remove your finger. After resetting, the console will turn off. 2. Now repeat the same protocol, but this time, the 3rd beep will be a double beep. Remove your finger. A message 'Connect the controller using a USB cable and then press the PS button' should appear on the screen. Connect the PS3 controller and press the PS button. The Safe Mode Screen will be displayed.
- Unscrew and change the drive.
- Clean the laser lens.
- Change the laser lens.
You can find various tutorials on the Internet for each of the solutions above. Replacement parts are usually available second-hand.