Screen of death while trying to install XP

Closed
New Guy 614 - Jun 13, 2010 at 12:12 AM
 New Guy 614 - Jun 20, 2010 at 11:50 AM
Hello, I have a new hd for a laptop and I am trying to install xp on it. I have it hooked up as an external hd to my desktop. Every time I install XP I get the screen of death at the XP screen. I have tried XP with Service Pack 3 and 1. I installed Ubuntu Linux and it said I was missing a file hal.dll. Can I get some assistance please!!

Related:

1 response

closeup22 Posts 8923 Registration date Friday May 15, 2009 Status Member Last seen October 7, 2010 2,099
Jun 13, 2010 at 01:16 AM
Hi there,

On external devices you cannot install windows operating system,as you mentioned 'hal.dll ' is missing this is when system boots and tests devices on it thus on external its not applicable,you can remove your hard drive form laptop then plug new one and install windows on it.

Thanks
I tried to install the OS from my laptop and I heard the cd drive spinning but all I got was the cursor in the left hand corner. What happened was the laptop was dropped and the hd went bad. I bought a new 300g Hd and a usb external hd case. I then removed my hds from my PC plugged in usb and installed Win XP. After it installed the win XP screen came up then it fliped to the blue screen. My laptop is a TOSHIBA SATELLITE A205-S5000.

Thanks