Senior Citizen needs help - - please

Closed
Kathiebronx - Jun 14, 2010 at 02:03 PM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Jun 14, 2010 at 03:23 PM
Hello,
Here is what I need help with. I have a Dell desktop computer. It's about 5-7 years old. I subscribe to Netflix and want to be able to watch the free movies on my TV, from my computer. I spoke with AT&T (my DSL provider) and they added WIFI to my service.

I've been told that I need a wireless router. What brand would be best for me to buy. I want to be able to achieve the clearest picture possible. By the way, my TV (32") is in the next room and although it is HDTV, my Satellite provider charges for that service, so I don't use it. Are the films (Netflix) as clear without it? My computer is in the next room, about 30 ft away. Do I need some sort of cable.

I would appreciate your advice and help in terms that I can understand. For my age, I think I'm pretty savvy when it comes to the basics. Thank you in advance for your patience.

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Jun 14, 2010 at 03:23 PM
We need to know the make and model of the TV. Only the latest models have internet connections and only a few have wifi. Some DVD players have the capability of streaming from the Internet and some have wifi. You can use the DVD player as an Internet access point. There are also some dedicated set top boxes that can provide Netflix access. My daughter uses her Wii game console for Netflix streaming and not the computer that sits next to it. Just because the Wii is connected to the TV. So her wifi distance is just under 2 feet.

Do you have a Best Buy near by that you can visit? They can show you what equipment they have and provide in house set-up. It will not be cheap. But, they will guaranty that it will work.

AT&T should not be billing for something they are not providing. I don't understand the part about them adding wifi since they didn't provide you with a router.

At 32 inches there is little chance that you will see the difference between a 480p and a 720p HD picture. If you view the screen from a distance of 8 feet it will be even harder to tell the difference.

Good Luck