Hard Drive not detected by BIOS or Windows [Solved/Closed]

Sadoj - Jun 27, 2010 at 02:22 PM - Latest reply: Sadoj 5 Posts Sunday June 27, 2010Registration date June 30, 2010 Last seen
- Jun 30, 2010 at 02:55 AM
Hello,

I know this is has been addressed before; however, the responses did not solve my issue. I will include more detail about my issue in hopes of a better diagnoses.

I accidentally changed my external hard drive from NTFS to HFS when prompted, while connecting via USB to a macbook. Now I can no longer see the hard drive via USB or direct connection to my PC.

I took it out it's case and noticed it has an IDE connection for a motherboard that only has SATA connections. I purchased an IDE to SATA Adapter and installed it into my computer.......nothing. The BIOS and Windows still does not see this drive.

I am aware I have two separate issues. In order to correct the file structure issue I have to gain access to the drive.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Information:

The hard drive powers up both in the external case and with the adapter.

1. Windows 7 Professional x64 (with all updates)

Mother Board:
1. ASRock 880G Extreme 3 (with latest bios)
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition

BIOS:
1. BIOS is set to IDE mode

Hard Drive:
1. Western Digital WD2000JB-00GVA0
(single or master pin setting)

Adapter:
ULTRA SATA to IDE 100/133 Adapter #ULT40322
See more 

11 replies

xpcman 19064 Posts Wednesday October 8, 2008Registration dateModeratorStatus July 4, 2018 Last seen - Jun 27, 2010 at 02:45 PM
Thank you
I would download Partition Wizard from this site:

http://download.cnet.com/...

Install Partition Wizard and see if it detects the hard drive either using the USB adapter or the SATA adapter. If it detects the drive - delete the existing partitions and reformat it.

Good Luck
Sadoj 5 Posts Sunday June 27, 2010Registration date June 30, 2010 Last seen - Jun 27, 2010 at 05:15 PM
This appears to be more than a Windows issue as the bios of my PC does not see the drive attached. To the best of my knowledge, if the BOIS does see the drive, no software will help. I am not sure how to over come that. Thanks again.
xpcman 19064 Posts Wednesday October 8, 2008Registration dateModeratorStatus July 4, 2018 Last seen - Jun 27, 2010 at 05:25 PM
Normally the BIOS seeing a hard drive would be a huge indication that the drive is unusable. But, Having never used a IDE to SATA converter I am not positive that the BIOS inability to display drive data is as big a problem as it appears. It could just be a problem with the hardware emulation. The SATA to IDE converter may not provide the signals the BIOS needs to find and identify the drive. That is why I suggest returning the drive to the USB adapter.
By USB Adapter you mean returning it to the external enclosure I had it in and connecting it to my PC via USB?
xpcman 19064 Posts Wednesday October 8, 2008Registration dateModeratorStatus July 4, 2018 Last seen - Jun 27, 2010 at 06:05 PM
correct
Sadoj 5 Posts Sunday June 27, 2010Registration date June 30, 2010 Last seen - Jun 27, 2010 at 06:12 PM
I tried that. That is how I discovered I had the problem. After detaching the USB connection from the macbook I connected via USB to my older PC. When I could not see the drive that's when I knew there was trouble. I treid to see if I could manage the drive, but it was not there. I appreciate your responses.
Sadoj 5 Posts Sunday June 27, 2010Registration date June 30, 2010 Last seen - Jun 30, 2010 at 02:55 AM
Thank you
[solved]

I have solved my problem!!

I had to exchange the SATA to IDE adapter for an IDE PCI Controller. After updating both the BIOS and Driver of the Controller, my computer's BIOS and Windows 7 was able to see the drive. I then used TestDisk to recover the partition (it saw the remnants of the original NTFS partition). I had been dreading this task for some time. It seemed so daunting; however, it was quick and somewhat painless. Thank you all for your help.