2T lacie

Closed
snl - Dec 7, 2008 at 11:38 AM
TheParoxysm Posts 169 Registration date Sunday December 7, 2008 Status Member Last seen March 25, 2011 - Dec 9, 2008 at 05:40 PM
Hello,
Since last year I was using 2T lacie external drive just for storing video fils using a Powerbook pro,the whole process took place in Srilanka, due to several times power failure in some point disk icon didn't appear in my desktop , since then I stop using the disk and brought it to canada, month passed , now when I plug the disk it create a little noise and take little more time to appear in the desktop ,it works, but if I rush to go from one file to another it will try to freeze,
I have about 1800 something Gigs in it , all my fils are there, what should I do to protect my video fils? should I transfer them in to a new disk? I greatly appreciate your help!
snl

2 responses

TheParoxysm Posts 169 Registration date Sunday December 7, 2008 Status Member Last seen March 25, 2011 74
Dec 9, 2008 at 05:40 PM
Anything they do in a store you could do at home.

You could buy another drive of the same size, and back the contents that you want to save up on it.

http://clonezilla.org/download/sourceforge/

That is a free alternative to Norton Ghost. Quite a bit quicker and more powerful. Most people prefer a brand name over function.
TheParoxysm Posts 169 Registration date Sunday December 7, 2008 Status Member Last seen March 25, 2011 74
Dec 8, 2008 at 12:32 AM
I would recommend backing up the entire drive.

You could try Norton Ghost, which is famous for it's dependability. There are also quite few free options, which I'll mention if you're interested in.

But it just sounds like the drive is aging/failing, or it's had a little tough love (small beatings, etc).

Either way, it's on it's last limb, but there may be a way to prevent that or see if it's still usable. Copy/backup the drive onto your computer or other drive, then format the drive and try it then. It may have just been a fragmentation issue.
plentyfilms Posts 1 Registration date Saturday December 6, 2008 Status Member Last seen December 9, 2008
Dec 9, 2008 at 05:26 PM
As you mention I would like to back up the entire drive, please tell me since it has almost full do I have to bring it to a store to do it? or could I buy another drive same as this one and do it by myself? is this the best 2Tdrive in the market? what was the other option that you mention?
kindly
plentyfilms