Import into excel goes into first cell

Closed
ramicyprus - Dec 8, 2008 at 04:22 AM
TheParoxysm Posts 169 Registration date Sunday December 7, 2008 Status Member Last seen March 25, 2011 - Dec 8, 2008 at 05:39 AM
Hello,
Im having an issue with excel.

My office has a database program where they export data into excel. one pc has the russian language installed on it, and its causing an error where all the data that is being exported to excel is going into the first cell only (A1). even after uninstalling the Russian language it still gives this error.

we tried all versions of office and windows and it still happens.

our database manager is reporting that this is an excel problem, not a database problem. can anyone give any suggestions?

thanks,
RamiCyprus
Related:

6 responses

TheParoxysm Posts 169 Registration date Sunday December 7, 2008 Status Member Last seen March 25, 2011 74
Dec 8, 2008 at 04:36 AM
I'm going to agree with him.

Even if you uninstall the Russian Language pack you will need to repair/reinstall excel on there in order to over-write some of the files that were not deleted because they were shared.

Let us know how it works.
thanks for the reply!, that makes sense. the thing is the user needs to have both options, the Russian language and the exporting to excel, and its too much that everytime she needs to export we will have to uninstall the Russian and Re-install Excel. Im hoping for something permanent.

Thanks,
Ramicyprus
TheParoxysm Posts 169 Registration date Sunday December 7, 2008 Status Member Last seen March 25, 2011 74
Dec 8, 2008 at 04:48 AM
I suggest that for the User you install OpenOffice. It's identical to Microsoft Office in every way, except it's open source, and 100% free.

You can customize language in there, and they can make traditional Excel files in that, and it won't affect your Microsoft office.

That work?

( http://www.openoffice.org/ )
ill keep that in mind. the thing is that we have an interface for the database, and that is used to export to excel, which opens an excel document with the data inserted automatically. if im to use openoffice, then i would have to uninstall MS Office so that the database would automatically send to OpenOffice instead.

at the moment its working but ill carry the above out if it happens again. thanks for the advice!
Dec 8, 2008 at 05:15 AM
What I am saying is, that for export purposes, remove the Russian language pack, and reinstall Excel.

Then she can use the OpenOffice Suite for all her office needs. For importing she can use MS office, and then save the file.

Then open it in OpenOffice where the russian language pack is built in and would not affect it's exporting as it was already exported and saved as a normal spreadsheet.

Use the MS for importing alone, and OO for normal use of any office docs.

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
oh ok,so what you're saying is that although normally i add Russian in the language settings, with OO it is built in so i could change the language there and wont be affecting the MSO language setting...

Does OO include outlook? Because she would need that too.

Thanks,
Ramicyprus
Dec 8, 2008 at 05:32 AM
If she didn't need russian language pack for outlook she could just use the outlook normally.

Another option for outlook (easier to use too) is Mozilla Thunderbird. Works almost identically for receiving mail.
Ok thanks for all the help Paroxysm. if it happens again ill go with this option.

thanks,
Ramicyprus
TheParoxysm Posts 169 Registration date Sunday December 7, 2008 Status Member Last seen March 25, 2011 74 > ramicyprus
Dec 8, 2008 at 05:39 AM
I'm glad I could help, have a good day!