DELL NIC RJ-45 connectors no response

Closed
JRO - Aug 25, 2010 at 04:16 AM
 Blocked Profile - Aug 25, 2010 at 05:46 AM
Hello,

I recently bought a Dell Latitude D620. It is running windows XP SP2 and has a broadcom netxtreme 57xx gigabit ethernet LAN card.I've tried connecting this Dell latitute while its on ac power to another Laptop(HP pavilion running windows XP SP3) using a Cat 5e crossover cable with RJ-45 connectors.When I plug the two RJ-45 connectors into both laptops, there is totally no response. It doesn't give any green or red lights on the NIC's of both laptops and when I go to the Network connections options of both laptops, it says the network cable is unplugged.When I go to the device manager of the Dell laptop,it says the the NIC is working properly.I'am also very sure there is nothing wrong with the Cat 5e crossover cable I used for connecting these two laptops because earlier on I had used this very cable to connect the same HP pavilion to a Desktop at my workplace.
Am puzzled as to what the problem may be. Any body out there; please give some advice.
Related:

1 response

Blocked Profile
Aug 25, 2010 at 05:46 AM
Hi there,

AS you mentioned that you already did the connection of pc to pc on other computer,so you are aware of the procedures and how it works,now situation is different,open command line and test your nic card by pinging itself,here is the command :

ping 127.0.0.1 ,or use connect the pc having the problems to lan and see if its being connected or not,other solution is to use the cable and connect other two computers and you will be assured if its the cable or the nic of the dell machine,

Thanks