Screen goes black at startup but with a catch

Closed
Blacksuga - Sep 1, 2010 at 12:52 PM
jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020 - Sep 8, 2010 at 02:59 PM
Hello,

My computer stopped working about 3 years ago. I actually stopped using it since I got a laptop.

But now I actually want to start using it again, since it's a good, custom made, computer.
I installed windows 7 on it, and that seemed to fix the existing problem (I can't remember what it was)
But now, when it says resuming windows, I get a black screen with my cursor being the only thing available. I tried the task manager, new task thing but it didn't work. instead, if I try opening task manager nothing really happens, the screen remains black. BUT, if I press ESC (to close task manager) the black screen goes away. Instead, I can just see my wallpaper with no taskbar or icons. I tried opening task manager from there, but I get a black screen whenever I try opening it. I do find however, that everything works if I start the computer in safe mode. I can have access to the internet, task manager, taskbar, everything. Also, when I try to open something, it doesn't actually open. I'm pretty sure It's a problem with my explorer.exe that could be solved if I had access to the task manager (which I don't)

I tried many things, including restoring to the computer to a previous working point which resulted in nothing, because I reformatted the computer. Please help, this would be a life saver for me.

remember, it's a custom made computer so I can't tell you any brand with a 3.06 processor and 1 GB RAM. It runs on Windows 7. (came with windows xp a long time ago, but I lost the cd.)
Thanks!

Related:

1 response

jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
Sep 1, 2010 at 05:18 PM
Hello,

Try this 1

1) When you switch ON your computer, start tapping the "F8" key to get

"Windows Advanced Options"( if boot menu appears, press "Esc" key and keep

tapping the F8 key)

Select "Safe Mode with Networking"

Click on Start --> In search box, type regedit32 and press "Enter".

"Registry Editor" window will be opened.

Navigate to the following location

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion

\Winlogon

At the right side, find the strings "Shell" & "Userinit" and check the following

Shell value data should be

Explorer.exe

Userinit value data should be

C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,

If "Shell" & "Userinit" are having different data values then change it as

mentioned above.

Just double click "Shell" & "Userinit" and enter the data values as

shell value data should be
Explorer.exe

userinit value data should b
C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,

Note: there is "," at the end of userinit.exe

2) Download "Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware". Click on the below link.

https://ccm.net/downloads/security-and-maintenance/4621-malwarebytes-anti-malware/

Update it and perform "Full Scan".

Good Luck.
Thanks for your help, but this didn't help. I didn't find Winlogo in the list so I created it myself and created the corresponding filles. after that I installed the malware software and did a full system scan which also gave me no results, it said no infected files. I rebooted the system and it was the same thing,
jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
Sep 8, 2010 at 02:59 PM
Hello,
Sorry its winlogon.